Building record 0411910000 - BULBOURNE, NW OF BRIDGE
- Listed Building (II) 1319241: WORKSHOP WITH WATER TOWER 60 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF CANAL BRIDGE
Type and Period (2)
- WORKSHOP (Built about 1848, 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- WATER TOWER (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Grade II. Canal workshop. Circa 1848. Yellow-brown brick with white brick window heads and arches. Eaves band course, minimal corner pilasters. Slate roof. One storey. Front to canal has 5 windows with segmental heads, 2 to right with cast iron glazing bars, remainder wider and with narrow vertical glazing bars. Right gable has openings with semi-circular arched heads: central double doors with radiating fanlight, flanking windows with wooden glazing bars, and smaller window in gable. Lean-to to rear. N. corner of left gable has later C19 water tower of 3 stages, the lower rendered and whitewashed, the 2 upper stages of brown brick with red brick corner piers, cornices and window surrounds. Pyramidal roof of fishscale tiles with splayed eaves on shaped wooden brackets. Openings with semi-circular heads to lower stages, upper stage with round windows (B7).
- <1>SBC5981 Bibliographic reference: HADFIELD C 1966 CANALS OF THE EAST MIDLANDS P270.
- <2>SBC5213 Bibliographic reference: FAULKNER A H 1972 GRAND JUNCTION CANAL.
- <3>SBC6637 Bibliographic reference: INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY RECORD CARDS.
- <4>SBC12006 Verbal communication: PIKE A R DEC 1977.
- <5>SBC10448 Map: OS 1971 1:2500 MAP.
- <6>SBC12183 Unpublished document: PIKE A R (BCM) NOV 1991 FIELD VISIT.
- <7>SBC19041 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p40.
|Grid reference||SP 93290 13700 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MARSWORTH, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (13)
- Parent of: 100M NW OF CANAL BRIDGE (Building) (0411910002)
- Parent of: 120M NW OF CANAL BRIDGE (Building) (0411910003)
- Parent of: BRIDGE 129, GRAND UNION CANAL (Building) (0411910007)
- Parent of: BRIDGE 130, GRAND UNION CANAL (Building) (0411910008)
- Parent of: BRIDGE 132, GRAND UNION CANAL (Building) (0411910009)
- Parent of: BULBOURNE, N OF WATER TOWER (Building) (0411910001)
- Parent of: LOCK 38 GRAND UNION CANAL (Building) (0411910004)
- Parent of: LOCK 39 GRAND UNION CANAL (Building) (0411910010)
- Parent of: LOCK 45 & ADJACENT DRY DOCK (Building) (0411910012)
- Parent of: LOCK-KEEPER'S HOUSE, LOCK 38 (Building) (0411910005)
- Parent of: LOCK-KEEPER'S HOUSE, LOCK 39 (Building) (0411910011)
- Parent of: PUMPING STATION AT LOCK 38 (Building) (0411910006)
- Part of: GRAND JUNCTION/UNION CANAL (Monument) (0411900000)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13593)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2023 2:15PM