Monument record 0193900000 - FAWLEY MANOR
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- MANOR (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 1945 AD)
FAWLEY MANOR HELD IN 1086 BY HERBRAND DE SACKVILLE OF WALTER GIFFARD. SACKVILLES HELD UNTIL C.1477, WHEN PASSED TO ROKES (RELATED TO SACKVILLES). IN 1617 SOLD TO SIR JAMES WHITELOCKE; SOLD TO WILLIAM FREEMAN C.1680, WHOSE FAMILY RETAINED IT UNTIL 1853.(FULL HISTORY)(B1).
Article with information about recent history of site (B12).
DBA highlighting the potential for archaeological remains relating to the prehistoric periods within the entire area of the estate. Artefacts dating from the Mesolithic, through the Neolithic, Bronze Age and into the Iron Age show a continued use of the river. Previous archaeological investigations have located a palaeo-channel, and there is the potential for further palaeo-channels of the river to be preserved. Peat deposits dating from the Mesolithic period onwards have been recorded (B16).
The Sawmill site is shown as a gravel pit in 1913, and the building is not shown on the 1924 OS map. The present large timber shed is probably post-war, 1940s to 60s. The woodland belt to the west has been planted up since 1913 (B17).
The historic landscape analysis report identified areas of high potential for the survival of archaeological remains as: the garden, farm and other buildings, enclosure walls and paths, elements of roads and paths later lost or re-routed, where the sites have not been subsequently disturbed or built over (B18).
- <1>SBC15758 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP38-40 & ILLUS OPP P37..
- <2>SBC7318 Bibliographic reference: LANGLEY T 1797 HISTORY & ANTIQUITIES OF THE HUNDRE D OF DESBOROUGH PP192-194.
- <3>SBC11681 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE PP134-135 & PL 41.
- <4>SBC11402 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARDS SU 78 SE 01 (FILED).
- <5>SBC15186 Article in serial: Geoffrey Tyack. 1982. 'THE FREEMANS OF FAWLEY AND THEIR BUILDINGS', IN RECS OF BUCKS 24, PP130-143 & PLS V-VII. Vol 24.
- <6>SBC3985 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1986. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKS; WYCOMBE: PARISHES OF FAWLEY &C.
- <7>SBC6336 Bibliographic reference: HEAD L M BUCKS ARCH SOC NEWSLETTER SPRING 1985 P1 2, FROM BRITISH MUSEUM ADD.MS 53726.(SEE ALSO GIR.
- <8>SBC4637 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 1994. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Buckinghamshire. Part 4.
- <9>SBC19270 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. ?. Thematic Survey of Planned and Model Farms.
- <10>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF038790.
- <11>SBC23453 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 2009. Heritage at Risk Register 2009: South East.
- <12>SBC23468 Article in serial: Mark Greaves. 2008. Article in 'The Catholic Herald', 16th May 2008.
- <13>SBC23469 Verbal communication: Julia Wise (BCC). 2009. Information from historic mapping.
- <14>SBC23245 Map: Wycombe District Council. 1992?. Fawley Court Conservation Area. 1:10,000.
- <15>SBC24032 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 2011. Heritage at Risk Register 2011: South East.
- <16>SBC24097 Unpublished document: John Moore Heritage Services. 2009. An Archaeological Desk Based Assessment of Fawley Court, Buckinghamshire.
- <17>SBC24098 Unpublished document: Spratley Studios. 2008. Sawmill Estate, Henley-on-Thames, Design and Access Statement.
- <18>SBC24099 Unpublished document: Cherrilow Ltd. 2009. Fawley Courth: Historic Landscape Analysis.
- <19>SBC24100 Unpublished document: John Moore Heritage Services. 2009. A Historic Building Survey of Service Buildings at Fawley Court, Buckinghamshire.
- <20>SBC24101 Unpublished document: John Moore Heritage Services. 2010. An Archaeological Evaluation on land at Courtyard, Fawley Court, Marlow Road, Henley On Thames RG9 3AE.
- <21>SBC24371 Article in serial: John Phibbs. 2013. 'A List of Landscapes That Have Been Attributed to Lancelot 'Capability' Brown', in Garden History Vol 41 part 2 pp244-277. Vol 41, part 2.
- <22>SBC24601 Digital archive: Historic England. 2015. Heritage at Risk Register 2015.
- <23>SBC24775 Digital archive: Historic England. 2016. Heritage at Risk Register 2016.
- <24>SBC24932 Digital archive: Historic England. 2017. Heritage at Risk Register 2017.
- <25>SBC25083 Digital archive: Historic England. 2018. Heritage at Risk Register 2018.
- <26>SBC25245 Digital archive: Historic England. 2019. Heritage at Risk Register 2019.
|Grid reference||SU 7643 8425 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FAWLEY, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (11)
- Parent of: 19th century yard surface found in evaluation (Monument) (0730800000)
- Parent of: CHAPEL C20M NW OF FAWLEY COURT (Building) (0193902000)
- Parent of: FAWLEY COURT (Monument) (0193904000)
- Parent of: FAWLEY COURT (Monument) (0193905000)
- Parent of: FAWLEY COURT, TEMPLE ISLAND (G130) (Landscape) (0193906000)
- Parent of: FAWLEY PLACE/FAWLEY COURT (Building) (0193901000)
- Parent of: MENAGERIE C60M NW OF FAWLEY COURT (Building) (0193903000)
- Parent of: NORTH LODGE TO FAWLEY COURT (Building) (0193908000)
- Parent of: SOUTH LODGE TO FAWLEY COURT (Building) (0193910000)
- Parent of: Trench 3, NW of Fawley Court (Monument) (0730600000)
- Parent of: WHITE COTTAGE, IN GROUNDS OF FAWLEY COURT (Building) (0193907000)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Historic Building Survey (EBC17470)
Record last edited
Jan 2 2020 12:54PM