Building record 0193903000 - MENAGERIE C60M NW OF FAWLEY COURT
- Listed Building (II) 1125741: BARN (NOW MENAGERIE) CIRCA 60 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF FAWLEY COURT
Type and Period (3)
- (Former Type) ZOO (Built about 1770., 18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- STABLE (19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1899 AD?)
- STOREHOUSE (19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1899 AD?)
Grade II. Menagerie with later subdivision into stables and storage space. Circa 1770 altered. By Sambrook Freeman. Chequer brick, whitewashed at S end, remainder with traces of colourwash. Flat eaves. Hipped slate roof. Long single storey building with apse at N. end. Sides have shallow blind arcade of semi-circular arches, continued round apse, with band course at impost level. Some arches have arched windows with glazing bars, others have large double wooden doors. S. end has 3 arches, that to left with arched window, that to centre with thermal window. Between arches at S. end are recessed rectangular panels with roundels above. Some square ventilation holes below eaves. Attached C20 sheds. Unusual shallow trusses designed to cover wide span with short timbers. Original drawing shows thermal windows only. (E. Harris and J.M. Robinson, New Light on Wyatt at Fawley, Architectural History 27 p. 263-267) (B6).
Historic building assessment concerned with a collection of service buildings to the north-west of the main house. These include a former riding house and an ornamentla dairy both individually listed Grade II, and a number of toher buildings including a water tower not individually listed but within the curtilage of the Grade I listed mansion and standing in a park graded II* on the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest (B19).
- <5>SBC15186 Article in serial: Geoffrey Tyack. 1982. 'THE FREEMANS OF FAWLEY AND THEIR BUILDINGS', IN RECS OF BUCKS 24, PP130-143 & PLS V-VII. Vol 24. p139.
- <6>SBC3985 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1986. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKS; WYCOMBE: PARISHES OF FAWLEY &C. p9.
- <19>SBC24100 Unpublished document: John Moore Heritage Services. 2009. A Historic Building Survey of Service Buildings at Fawley Court, Buckinghamshire.
|Grid reference||SU 76450 84300 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||FAWLEY, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Historic Building Survey (EBC17470)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC1360)
Record last edited
Feb 24 2012 11:09AM