Building record 0193902000 - CHAPEL C20M NW OF FAWLEY COURT
- Listed Building (II) 1159447: CHAPEL CIRCA 20 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF FAWLEY COURT
Type and Period (5)
- (Former Type) DAIRY (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- (Alternate Type) GARDEN BUILDING (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
- (Former Type) CHAPEL (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 1999 AD?)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
Plan Form - RECTANGULAR
Grade II. Chapel, now dis-used, formerly dairy and garden feature. Late C18 - early C19. Knapped flint, mostly roughcast and colourwashed to S. side and rear. Hipped slate roof. Garden front to E. has 3 bays, the centre bay projecting. Band course, parapet with shallow gable over centre bay, buttresses. Outer bays have stone roundels, the left with C20 mosaic. Centre bay in Romanesque style with semi-circular headed 2-light stone window and re-set C12 doorway from Hart Street, Henley. Doorway has semi-circular arch of 2 orders on shafts, the outer order moulded, the inner with beakhead ornament. Rear has flint panel with 4-centred stone arch from Crosby Hall, London, and flanking lancets. Interior has 4-centred vault with wooden ribs in C16 style (B6).
- <5>SBC15186 Article in serial: Geoffrey Tyack. 1982. 'THE FREEMANS OF FAWLEY AND THEIR BUILDINGS', IN RECS OF BUCKS 24, PP130-143 & PLS V-VII. Vol 24. pp139,140-141; Plate Vib.
- <6>SBC3985 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1986. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKS; WYCOMBE: PARISHES OF FAWLEY &C. p9.
|Grid reference||SU 76496 84279 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||FAWLEY, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC1360)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2009 6:10PM