The Beacon motte in CublingtonOne sherd of Roman pottery and some medieval pottery has been found at the Beacon in Cublington, which is itself a twelfth to thirteenth century motte. There are also the remains of medieval village earthworks that were excavated in the nineteenth century, probably contained within a bailey, at Home Ground, which included a church and associated graveyard that was moved to its present position around 1400 AD. St Nicholas’ church contains a twelfth to thirteenth century chest and fifteenth century brasses and dates to the fifteenth century. There is another medieval feature, a fishpond, in Wash Brook field. There is also documentary and place-name evidence of a lost hamlet called Bredingcote at Steart Farm and a windmill at Mill Hill.


Cublington village and churchThe remaining listed buildings date mainly to the seventeenth to eighteenth century and many are timber-framed. Neale’s Farm may date to the sixteenth century. The old manor house was demolished in 1800 though some seventeenth to eighteenth century outbuildings still exist. The Unicorn pub dates to the eighteenth century but may incorporate some earlier fabric. Some of the nineteenth century formal gardens in the village have vestigial remains now, such as at The Old Manor and the Old Rectory. There is also a post-medieval icehouse on Stewkley Road. A Second World War hospital and associated buildings once stood south of Neale’s Farm.