Monument record 0660603000 - Government Research Establishment, Westcott
- Planning Notification Area: Cold War rocket test facility and rocket motor factory at Westcott airfield
Type and Period (2)
- ROCKET TEST FACILITY (Modern - 1946 AD to 1984 AD?)
- ROCKET MOTOR FACTORY (Modern - 1946 AD to 1994 AD?)
Guided Projectile Establishment (later Rocket Propulsion Department) set up on site by Ministry of Supply to study rocket propulsion. Linked to Royal Gunpowder Factory, Waltham Abbey. Became Rocket Propulsion Establishment in 1958. Later merged in 1973 with Waltham Abbey site and further reorganisation in 1977 created the Propellants, Explosives and Rocket Motor Establishment (PERME). Sites split in 1984 in lead up to privatisation of Royal Ordnance, Westcott passing to Royal Ordnance; further details (B3-4).
MPP Cold War remains assessment (B5).
- <3>SBC19273 Bibliographic reference: Wayne D Cocroft. 2000. Dangerous Energy. pp247-252, Figs 8.22-8.26,8.28-8.30,8.40.
- <4>SBC19274 Unpublished document: RCHME. Monument Details :Royal Ordnance Factory Westcott.
- <5>SBC19422 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 2001. Cold War Monuments: an assessment by the Monuments Protection Programme.
- <6>SBC22398 Bibliographic reference: Wayne D Cocroft and Roger J C Thomas (edited by P S Barnwell). 2004. Cold War: Building for Nuclear Confrontation 1946-1989. pp46-7, 240, 256, Figs 3.36, 10.17.
- <9>SBC23308 Article in serial: Wayne D Cocroft. 2006. 'The Spadeadam Blue Streak Underground Launcher Facility U1', in Prospero (The Journal of British Rocketry and Nuclear History) Number 3 pp7-14. No 3.
- <10>SBC23309 Bibliographic reference: C N Hill. 2001. A Vertical Empire: The History of the UK Rocket and Space Programme, 1950-1971.
|Grid reference||SP 7100 1700 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WESTCOTT, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (9)
- Parent of: Westcott airfield: Blue-Streak model silo (Find Spot) (0660603001)
- Parent of: Westcott rocket test site 6 (Monument) (0660603005)
- Parent of: Westcott rocket test site Area 11 (Monument) (0660603008)
- Parent of: Westcott rocket test site E (Monument) (0660603007)
- Parent of: Westcott rocket test site K (Monument) (0660603002)
- Parent of: Westcott rocket test site P (Monument) (0660603003)
- Parent of: Westcott rocket test sites A, B, C & D (Monument) (0660603006)
- Parent of: Westcott SPA area (Monument) (0660603004)
- Part of: Westcott Airfield and Royal Ordnance Site (Monument) (0660600000)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: MPP assessment (EBC15924)
Record last edited
May 26 2010 11:23AM