Monument record 0660603004 - Westcott SPA area
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- ROCKET MOTOR FACTORY (Modern - 1952 AD to 1994 AD?)
In the SW corner of the airfield is the Rocket Motor Facility. The production facilities in this area were established for the filling of rocket motors with plastic propellants in the early 1950s and remain in use for this purpose [December 1993]. At the northern end of this group is the Non Destructive Test building S41. In this building specially designed facilities are housed for the testing of large rocket casings by X-ray, an ultrasonic immersion tank and in an ultrasonic machine designed to inspect the interior of rocket casings (B4-5).
Former SPA Area fuelling facility in the process of demolition in August 2007 (B7).
NGR to centre of SPA Area.
Building recording of SPA complex carried out by Albion Archaeology in winter 2008-9. See reports for detail (B11-13).
- <3>SBC19273 Bibliographic reference: Wayne D Cocroft. 2000. Dangerous Energy. pp250-251; Figs 8.25-8.26.
- <4>SBC19274 Unpublished document: RCHME. Monument Details :Royal Ordnance Factory Westcott.
- <5>SBC19422 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 2001. Cold War Monuments: an assessment by the Monuments Protection Programme.
- <7>SBC23214 Unpublished document: David Radford (BCC). 2007. Map extracts annotated with brief notes and photographs taken during site visit in August 2007..
- <11>SBC24108 Unpublished document: Albion Archaeology. 2009. Former Rocket Propellent Establishment, Westcott, Solids Area (SPA), Westcott Venture Park, Wotton Underwood: Building Recording.
- <12>SBC24109 Unpublished document: Albion Archaeology. 2009. Westcott Venture Park, Former Rocket Propulsion Establishment, Main Area, Building Recording Appendix 2: The Building Record.
- <13>SBC24110 Unpublished document: Albion Archaeology. 2009. Westcott Venture Park, Former Rocket Propulsion Establishment, SPA Area, Building Recording Appendix 1: The Building Record.
|Grid reference||SP 70201 16530 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||WESTCOTT, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Building Recording (Ref: 1341) (EBC17476)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2019 6:05PM