Monument record 0059000000 - STOWE VILLAGE
- SHINE: Stowe medieval to post medieval landscape garden, medieval deserted villages of Lamport & Boycott, shrunken village of Daford, also moats, manors and fishponds, ridge and furrow earthworks & cropmarks, and areas of ancient semi natural woodland
Type and Period (1)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to 17th Century - 1066 AD? to 1637 AD?)
STOWE VILLAGE STRETCHED S FROM CHURCH ALONG A ROAD CALLED HEGWAY (B5).
IN 1720 HAD 32 HOUSES & 180 PEOPLE, BUT HAD NEARLY DISAPPEARED BY 1927 DUE TO ENCROACHMENT OF PARK (B1).
SETTLEMENT MOVED TO DADFORD? (B2).
ONLY TRACE OF VILLAGE (1989) ARE TILE FRAGMENTS (B5).
NGR TO PARK CENTRE (B1).
The National Trust's survey for Stowe undertaken in 1989 makes reference to the village which seems to have included ancillary buildings of the great house. The village included a vicarage, a mill and there may have been fishponds on the site of the 11 acre lake (B8).
- <1>SBC15893 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 P232.
- <2>SBC1672 Bibliographic reference: BERESFORD MW 1953 NOTES.
- <3>SBC1665 Bibliographic reference: BERESFORD MW & HURST JG 1971 DESERTED MEDIEVAL VIL LAGES P184.
- <4>SBC10697 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD SP 63 NE 4.
- <5>SBC16361 Bibliographic reference: WAINWRIGHT A 1989 NATIONAL TRUST ARCHAEOLOGICAL SU RVEY (STOWE P 31) IN CAS FILE 4208.
- <6>SBC16355 Bibliographic reference: WAINWRIGHT A (NATIONAL TRUST) & FARLEY M E JUNE 19 91.
- <7>SBC16501 Bibliographic reference: WESCOMBE P J, WAINWRIGHT A (NATIONAL TRUST) & FARLEY M E, MAY 1992.
- <8>SBC19992 Unpublished document: Angus Wainwright. 1989. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Stowe. pp35.
- <9>SBC20023 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2001. Stowe Park, Stowe, Buckinghamshire: An Archaeological Survey by English Heritage (Survey Report).
- <10>SBC22774 Bibliographic reference: Richard Jones and Mark Page. 2006. Medieval Villages in an English Landscape: Beginnings and Ends. pp215,218,219,221.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 6777 3734 (280m by 240m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STOWE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (7)
- Parent of: Gravel Pits, Stowe Landscape Gardens (Monument) (0420808000)
- Parent of: STOWE PARISH CHURCH (Building) (0171800000)
- Parent of: STOWE SCHOOL, STOWE PARK (Building) (0420801000)
- Parent of: Stowe Village, ELYSIAN FIELDS, STOWE (Find Spot) (0059000001)
- Parent of: Stowe Village, ELYSIAN FIELDS, STOWE: Vicarage (Building) (0059002000)
- Parent of: Stowe Village, ELYSIAN FIELDS,STOWE (Find Spot) (0059000002)
- Parent of: Stowe Village, OCTAGON LAKE, STOWE: Thomas Stops House (Monument) (0059003000)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: (EBC13363)
Record last edited
Aug 25 2009 11:43AM