Building record 0171800000 - STOWE PARISH CHURCH
- Listed Building (II*) 1211870: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
- SHINE: Stowe medieval to post medieval landscape garden, medieval deserted villages of Lamport & Boycott, shrunken village of Daford, also moats, manors and fishponds, ridge and furrow earthworks & cropmarks, and areas of ancient semi natural woodland
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (14th Century to 18th Century - 1300 AD to 1799 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0021 m Width 0019
Plan Form - SUBRECTANGULAR
Grade II+. Parish Church. C14 altered C18. W. tower stone; nave, aisles and chancel roughcast. Copper roof. Vaulted niche above W. door. Traceried windows in E. end of S. aisle and in chancel. Lead roofs, double curved to chancel. Interior: 3 bay nave arcades, C16 arches to N. chapel with panelled reveals. Two brasses, marble monument of 1619. History: 'Capability' Brown married here 1744. RCHM II p 296 MON.2 (B5).
PAINTING OF ST GEORGE & DRAGON IN NAVE, N WALL. REMAINS OF ANCIENT CROSS IN CHURCHYARD (B1).
SURROUNDED BY GROUNDS OF STOWE HOUSE (B2).
- <1>SBC16716 Bibliographic reference: WILLIS B 1755 HISTORY & ANTIQUITIES OF-- BUCKINGHA M P281-3.
- <2>SBC13098 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP286-7.
- <3>SBC10476 Map: OS 1978 1:2500 MAP.
- <4>SBC11692 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE.
- <5>SBC3681 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p22.
|Grid reference||SP 67614 37352 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||STOWE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13583)
Record last edited
Aug 25 2009 11:44AM