The earliest artefact found in this parish is a Mesolithic flint blade found north of Radclive near the River Ouse. Two cropmark enclosures have been recorded on aerial photographs across the river south of Chackmore that may date to the Neolithic or Bronze Age. It is surprising more prehistoric material has not been found as the Ouse was an attractive resource at this time. Roman pottery was found in Town Close Field in Radclive in the 19th century and put on exhibition in Buckingham. Roman pottery was also found in fields north of the A422 above Manor Farm. A Roman road coming south from Water Stratford past Foscott Villa is thought to pass through Radclive-cum-Chackmore parish and another runs past Stowe landscape gardens into the parish.
Radclive-cum-Chackmore was on the edge of Bernwood Forest. Bernwood had been a hunting forest from the time of Edward the Confessor. It grew to its largest extent under Henry II. The whole area was not covered by woods; in the medieval period a forest was a place where deer roamed for hunting and so included open land, villages and fields. All those who lived in the forest were not allowed to hunt or even gather wood without a special licence from the king. Bernwood Forest was finally disafforested in the reign of James I in 1635, although it had been shrinking in size since the time of King John (1199-1216).
There were three villages in this parish, Radclive, Chackmore and Haseley. Radclive and Haseley are recorded in Domesday but Chackmore only as far back as the 12th to 13th century. Part of the historic parish was taken into Buckingham parish in 1934. Haseley is recorded up until the 17th century and it may have been incorporated into Radclive manor’s deer park. Its original location is unknown. The manor of Haseley was also recorded in Domesday but may have been part of lands including Thornton manor and is therefore difficult to trace. A very rare reference to people’s houses in Chackmore is a 12th to 13th century document recording the grant of a building and some land between Isaac’s and Fulk’s houses to Luffield Priory by the son of the owner Hareng. Again, this cannot be exactly located.
St John’s church in Radclive was originally built in the 12th century, the tower was added in the 14th century. The Manor House in Radclive is later in date, having been built in the 16th century, though it is probably on the site of the medieval manor house. The 19th century granary, dovecote and stables at Radclive Manor are also listed. Other listed buildings in the parish date to the 17th and 18th centuries.
Stowe landscape gardens intrude into Radclive-cum-Chackmore parish. They were started in the 17th and 18th century for the Temple family who lived at Stowe House, now Stowe School. It is a registered garden and most of the garden buildings and statues are separately listed.
Radclive mill is an 18th century watermill that was in use up until 1911 and now survives as a house. It may be on the site of the medieval watermill that is recorded as far back as Domesday. Radclive Hall is a 17th or 18th century rectory that was refronted in the 19th century. One of the latest additions to the parish was the railway from Verney Junction to Banbury that was opened in the 19th century and closed in the 1960s. Remains of the cuttings and bridges can still be seen along its length, such as a bridge over the Ouse, which was reported as still standing in 1991. Another bridge carries the Gawcott to Chackmore road over a mostly infilled railway line.