Building record 0240200000 - CEELY HOUSE, 7 CHURCH STREET
- Listed Building (II*) 1160059: CEELY HOUSE
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (15th Century to 18th Century - 1400 AD to 1799 AD)
- (Alternate Type) TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- MUSEUM (20th Century to 21st Century - 1900 AD to 2099 AD)
Dimensions - Length 44m, Width 30m.
Grade II+. Early C18. Two storeys. Red brick. Moulded stone cornice with egg and dart enrichment. Plastered parapet with moulded coping of later date. Old tile roof. Slight projection to centre. Five windows on first floor, the central window has moulded stone architrave swept out in curves at foot, and mask keystone. Four windows on ground floor and six-panel central door with plain arched fanlight and architrave surround, under portico with two Corinthian wall pilasters and two columns enriched entablature, bracketed cornice with acanthus enrichment to brackets and similar pediment with rosettes between brackets. Contemporary scrapers flanking doorway. Door approached by two moulded stone steps. Nos 7 and 7A with Railings and Coach House and No 9 form a group (B6).
Shown to be refronting of C15 building. Fine C15 roof etc (& see 01:000)(B2).
Buildings file dated 1990 held at NMR (contains an offprint of the 1991 Recs article, only) (B11).
- <1>SBC12721 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P34.
- <2>SBC13879 Article in serial: R C Sansome. 1953. 'AYLESBURY TREASURE TROVE', IN RECS OF BUCKS 16 PP33-39. Vol 16.
- <3>SBC10628 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Field Investigator. OS RECORD CARD.
- <4>SBC410 Verbal communication: David Allen. 1979. PERS COMM, JANUARY 1979.
- <5>SBC872 Graphic material: Buckinghamshire County Council. 1978. BCC DEPT OF ARCHITECTURE ARCHITECTURAL DRAWING OF GEORGIAN PORTICO.
- <6>SBC3590 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1973. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. p18.
- <7>SBC15147 Article in serial: John Chenevix Trench & Pauline Fenley. 1991. 'THE COUNTY MUSEUM BUILDINGS, CHURCH STREET, AYLESBURY', IN RECS OF BUCKS 33 PP1-43. Vol 33.
- <8>SBC19002 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1998. Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
- <9>SBC22319 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2005. Watching Brief: Cubitt Garage, County Museum, Church Street, Aylesbury.
- <10>SBC22686 Digital archive: Vernacular Architecture Group. 2000 onwards. Vernacular Architecture Group: Dendrochronology Database.
- <11>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF093273.
- <12>SBC25397 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire Gardens Trust. 2020. Ceeley House (Buckinghamshire County Museum): Understanding Historic Parks and Gardens in Buckinghamshire.
|Grid reference||SP 81772 13847 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (7)
- Parent of: 7 CHURCH ST (CEELY HOUSE) (Building) (0240201000)
- Parent of: 7A CHURCH STREET (Building) (0240202000)
- Parent of: 9 CHURCH STREET (Building) (0240203000)
- Parent of: Ceeley House, Church Street (Landscape) (0240204000)
- Parent of: CEELY HOUSE, 7 CHURCH STREET (Find Spot) (0240210000)
- Parent of: COACH HOUSE & STABLES TO 7 CHURCH STREET (Building) (0240200001)
- Parent of: FRONT OF 7 CHURCH STREET (Building) (0240200002)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by Historic Buildings Officer (EBC13569)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2021 10:10PM