Building record 0240201000 - 7 CHURCH ST (CEELY HOUSE)
- Listed Building
Type and Period (3)
- GUILDHALL (Built 1474?, 15th Century to 16th Century - 1450 AD to 1547 AD) + Sci.Date
- (Alternate Type) TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- (Alternate Type) JETTIED BUILDING (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
Re-plastering of west facing wall of C18 staircase exposed medieval (& post-medieval) features including medieval beams and timber-framing, ?medieval plaster panel & ?post-medieval blocked alcove. Measured survey (filed)(B4).
Recording of building during renovation shows it to be originally timber-framed & jettied, with 8 of 16 timbers sampled dendrochronologically dated to 1473. Likely to have started life as the 'brother house' of the Fraternity of the Virgin Mary, founded 1450 & dissolved 1547. Timber-framed rear kitchen wing added slightly later and changes also made to the staircase to the upper floor, but timber samples for these phases were not possible to date. Building's front altered in C17 (full detail, &c)(B7).
- <4>SBC410 Verbal communication: David Allen. 1979. PERS COMM, JANUARY 1979.
- <7>SBC15147 Article in serial: John Chenevix Trench & Pauline Fenley. 1991. 'THE COUNTY MUSEUM BUILDINGS, CHURCH STREET, AYLESBURY', IN RECS OF BUCKS 33 PP1-43. Vol 33.
- <10>SBC22686 Digital archive: Vernacular Architecture Group. 2000 onwards. Vernacular Architecture Group: Dendrochronology Database. VA vol 23 p48.
|Grid reference||SP 81770 13843 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Historic building recording (EBC11775)
- Event - Survey: Historic building recording (EBC17906)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2021 10:04PM