Building record 0240203000 - 9 CHURCH STREET
- Listed Building (II*) 1117970: THE MUSEUM
Type and Period (3)
- GRAMMAR SCHOOL (Built 1718-1720, 18th Century to Modern - 1700 AD to 1907 AD)
- MUSEUM (20th Century to 21st Century - 1900 AD to 2099 AD)
- TEACHERS HOUSE (18th Century to Modern - 1720 AD to 1907 AD)
Grade II+. An early structure refaced in the first quarter of the C18. Formerly the Grammar School. Dated 1719 on rainwater heads. Two storeys and attic. Mainly red brick, some vitreous brick in panels. Projecting plinth with moulded capping. String courses over ground floor windows and below tall parapet. Five windows and four panels on first floor arranged in sequence from left hand - window - panel - window - panel - circular window (over door) - panel - two windows - panel. Similar arrangements on ground floor. Tall six-panel central door with rectangular fanlight of three panes and narrow side glazing, in surround of stone architrave and outer stone strips with carved console brackets supporting broken curved pediment, all of large scale. Return front to St Mary's Square - similar general treatment with slightly flanking projections each with two windows. The central part has - two outer circular panels, two segmental-headed niches with moulded stone cills and square blocked window in centre on first floor. Four tall segmental-headed four-light mullioned and transomed windows on ground floor, (apparently modern) and very tall eight-panel central door with rectangular fanlight of eight panes and stone surround of same design as Church Street entrance. Small niche above pediment of vitreous brick. The panels to upper part of front of vitreous brick. Range of six gabled dormers. Contemporary cast lead rainwater heads of rectangular shape with date 1719 on this front, and similar pattern undated on other front. Interior considerably altered, but two contemporary stairs remain, and stair, doors etc in Church House (part of the same building) formerly Headmaster's House. See Gibbs' History of Aylesbury, VCH Bucks. Nos 7 and 7A with Railings and Coach House and No 9 form a group (B6).
Detailed history and historic building survey shows 15th century timbers almost certainly from Ceeley House, were re-used in the school buildings (see report)(B7).
- <1>SBC12721 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P34.
- <6>SBC3590 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1973. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. pp19-20.
- <7>SBC15147 Article in serial: John Chenevix Trench & Pauline Fenley. 1991. 'THE COUNTY MUSEUM BUILDINGS, CHURCH STREET, AYLESBURY', IN RECS OF BUCKS 33 PP1-43. Vol 33.
|Grid reference||SP 81760 13860 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by Historic Buildings Officer (EBC13569)
Record last edited
Feb 14 2021 12:34AM