Building record 0257500000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH
- Listed Building (I) 1160522: ST MARYS CHURCH
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (13th Century to 19th Century - 1200 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Height 37m, Width 37m, Length 52m.
Plan Form - Cruciform.
Cruciform church, on highest spot in town. Of squared rubble, roughly coursed & part refaced with ashlar. Probably a C12 church on site. Chancel, tower, N & S aisles, transepts & transept chapels are C13. C14 components. Clearstorey etc of C15. Complete restoration by G Scott in 1850 (B1-2,B16).
Grade I. The setting of the Church is in effect similar to a Cathedral Close on a small scale, and the variety of housing lining the sides of St Mary's Square, including the Museum and Prebendal House provides an architectural backqround of considerable interest and importance. Mainly C13 built partly on site of Saxon Church and extensively restored between 1804 - 1809. Cruciform plan. Saxon crypt under Lady Chapel, Norman font. Good C16 monument to Lady Lee in North transept. Many good tombs in church yard. All the listed buildings in St Mary's Square on the south side of Parson's Fee form a group with No 1 St Mary's Row and No 6 Pebble Lane (B17).
History of church bells (B19).
Buildings report held at NMR (B23)
Brief bibliography of published references in envelope file (B24)
- <1>SBC15617 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP 13-18.
- <2>SBC12803 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP22-27; 2 PP12-13.
- <3>SBC15101 Bibliographic reference: THURLBY M 1982 FLUTED AND CHALICE SHAPED; THE AYLE SBURY GROUP OF FONTS COUNTRYLIFE"28THJAN1982(PHOT.
- <4>SBC5189 Article in serial: Mike Farley. 1979. 'BURIALS IN AYLESBURY AND THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE TOWN', IN RECS OF BUCKS 21 PP116-122. Vol 21.
- <5>SBC310 Article in serial: D Allen and Hal Dalwood. 1983. 'EXCAVATIONS IN GEORGE STREET, AYLESBURY 1981', IN RECS OF BUCKS 25 PP1-60.
- <6>SBC4271 Bibliographic reference: John Morris (ed). 1978. Domesday Book: Buckinghamshire.
- <7>SBC7630 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 2 PP31-56.
- <8>SBC14439 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP63-71.
- <9>SBC5653 Bibliographic reference: Robert Gibbs. 1885. A History of Aylesbury. pp18-76.
- <10>SBC871 Graphic material: BAYNES-COPE D & BAKER C 1945 PLAN OF CRYPT UNDER L ADY CHAPEL & NOTES ON EXCAVATIONS IN CAS FILE.
- <11>SBC11817 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE PP54-56.
- <12>SBC10435 Map: OS 1966 1:1250 MAP.
- <13>SBC14637 Bibliographic reference: SMITH JT (RCHM) 1981 LETTER IN CAS FILE 0354.
- <14>SBC4440 Article in serial: Brian Durham. 1978. 'TRACES OF A LATE SAXON CHURCH AT ST MARY'S, AYLESBURY', IN RECS OF BUCKS 20 PP621-626. Vol 20.
- <15>SBC761 Article in serial: Keith Bailey. 1989. 'OSYTH, FRITHUWOLD & AYLESBURY', IN RECS OF BUCKS 31 PP37-48. Vol 31.
- <16>SBC1813 Article in serial: Geoff Brandwood. 1992. BRANDWOOD G 1992 'A DISGRACE TO THE TOWN': AYLESBURY CHURCH & ITS RESTORATION, IN RECS OF BUCKS 34. Vol 34. pp1-10, plates 1-2.
- <17>SBC3590 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1973. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. p42, updated 30th August 2001.
- <18>SBC22198 Bibliographic reference: Rev Dennis Davies. Undated. A Walk Around St Mary's (church guide).
- <19>SBC22199 Bibliographic reference: John White. 1990. A Short History of Bells and Bellringing at St Mary's Church Aylesbury.
- <20>SBC22200 Graphic material: Various. Undated. Post cards of St Mary's Church.
- <21>SBC22461 Article in serial: Hugh Hanley. 2005. 'Some New Light on Caldecote and the Ancient Endowment of Aylesbury Minster', in Records of Bucks Vol 45 pp33-44. Vol 45.
- <22>SBC23021 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. St Mary's Church Boundary Wall, Aylesbury: Archaeological Watching Brief Report.
- <23>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF051362.
- <24>SBC23365 Unpublished document: M Farley. 2000. Churches, chapels and other religious meeting places in Aylesbury to c.1920: a short bibliography of published references.
- <25>SBC23388 Article in serial: J Pickburn?. 1863. St Mary's Church, Aylesbury - Description of the west window which has recently been filled with stained glass.
- <26>SBC23391 Article in serial: J Pickburn?. 1854. Aylesbury Church in 1848.
|Grid reference||SP 81710 13915 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: East Gateway to St Mary's Churchyard (Building) (0257504000)
- Parent of: SOUTH GATEWAY TO CHURCHYARD (Building) (0257503000)
- Parent of: ST MARY'S CHURCH (Monument) (0257500001)
- Parent of: ST MARY'S CHURCH (Monument) (0257502000)
- Parent of: ST MARY'S CHURCH, AYLESBURY (Monument) (0257501000)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by Historic Buildings Officer (EBC13569)
Record last edited
Feb 21 2021 4:10PM