Building record 0257500000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH
Summary
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (I) 1160522: ST MARYS CHURCH (DBC2460)
Map
Type and Period (6)
- PARISH CHURCH (13th Century to 19th Century - 1200 AD to 1899 AD)
- CRYPT (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- CLOISTER (12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
- FONT (12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
- WATER CHANNEL (12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
Description
Dimensions - Height 37m, Width 37m, Length 52m.
Plan Form - Cruciform.
Cruciform church, on highest spot in town. Of squared rubble, roughly coursed & part refaced with ashlar. Probably a C12 church on site. Chancel, tower, N & S aisles, transepts & transept chapels are C13. C14 components. Clearstorey etc of C15. Complete restoration by G Scott in 1850 (B1-2,B16,B27).
Grade I. The setting of the Church is in effect similar to a Cathedral Close on a small scale, and the variety of housing lining the sides of St Mary's Square, including the Museum and Prebendal House provides an architectural backqround of considerable interest and importance. Mainly C13 built partly on site of Saxon Church and extensively restored between 1804 - 1809. Cruciform plan. Saxon crypt under Lady Chapel, Norman font. Good C16 monument to Lady Lee in North transept. Many good tombs in church yard. All the listed buildings in St Mary's Square on the south side of Parson's Fee form a group with No 1 St Mary's Row and No 6 Pebble Lane (B17).
History of church bells (B19).
Buildings report held at NMR (B23).
Brief bibliography of published references in envelope file (B24).
Church of St Mary. The restoration by Scott took place between 1850-69 (B11).
The earliest concrete evidence for a Saxon church is that from Domesday, which records that in the reign of Edward the Confessor, the church of Aylesbury drew substantial tithes from the sokemen of the eight hundreds around Aylesbury. The payments were reduced after the Conquest, but it is clear that the late Saxon church was well established, and may probably correctly be regarded as a minster.
Excavations have suggested a late Saxon origin for the building. This lay on the same alignment as the later aisle arcades, the phase I have terminating beneath the second piers from the current West end of the nave. A square West tower was added at a later date, the footings indicating butt jointing to the nave wall, (phase II). A footing adjoining the South side of this tower may have belonged to a
contemporary cloister. Weathered loam above the tower footings indicates that the tower was removed long before the nave was extended in the C13th, the West nave wall possibly buttressed at the time to prevent collapse. The discovery of a large-bore lead pipe
encased in masonry which appears to be part of a C12th water distribution system within the church is unusual, and normally only associated with 'great' churches. It may be evidence for a small monastic community, and lend weight to the Saxon church being a minster (B14).
The Parish Church of St Mary is built of squared rubble, roughly coursed, and partly refaced with ashlar. The dressings are of stone. The roofs are covered with lead. There was probably a C12th church on the site, but it appears to have been entirely rebuilt in the first half of the C13th on a cruciform plan. The chancel, central tower and transepts, each with a small chapel on the East side, and the nave with its North and South aisles are of the C13th, and there was possibly also a South porch of the same date. In the C14th, a Lady chapel was built South of the South transeptal chapel, and the aisles were extended laterally to form chapels. In the C15th, the two-storeyed north vestry was added to the North of the North transeptal chapel, and the South porch was rebuilt, the whole building except for the chancel was re-roofed, and the clerestory added. Early in the C19th, the church was in a dangerous condition, because of foundation failure, and in 1850, a complete restoration was undertaken by Sir Gilbert Scott. The building, with its massive central tower, is of fine proportions. Among the fittings, the late C12th font is especially noteworthy, and has given a name to a type known as the 'Aylesbury' fonts. Legends associate two noble Saxon ladies, Saints Edburgha and Osyth, with a C7th religious foundation here. The current plan I ndicates that a former church was altered and adapted in the C13th. This former Norman church was cruciform, as now, with the nave and chancel the same width as the transepts, (21'). The old North wall of the nave and chancel being retained, it was widened to the South by 4', the new South walls being built just outside the lines of the former ones (B1 &B2).
Listed as a minster founded in the C7th. Further evidence for ecclesiastical activity is the recent discovery at the Iron Age hillfort, from which the `burh' element of Aylesbury is derived, of an C8th cemetery (B28).
This record includes National Record of the Historic Environment Information provided by Historic England on 4 June 2025 licensed under the Open Government Licence.
Sources (29)
- <1>SBC20462 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1925. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume III. Volume 3. pp13-18.
- <2>SBC20466 Bibliographic reference: Royal Commision on Historical Monuments. 1912. Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume 1. Volume 1. pp22-27.
- <3>SBC15101 Bibliographic reference: THURLBY M 1982 FLUTED AND CHALICE SHAPED; THE AYLE SBURY GROUP OF FONTS COUNTRYLIFE"28THJAN1982(PHOT.
- <4>SBC5189 Article in serial: Mike Farley. 1979. 'BURIALS IN AYLESBURY AND THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE TOWN', IN RECS OF BUCKS 21 PP116-122. Vol 21.
- <5>SBC310 Article in serial: D Allen and Hal Dalwood. 1983. 'EXCAVATIONS IN GEORGE STREET, AYLESBURY 1981', IN RECS OF BUCKS 25 PP1-60.
- <6>SBC4271 Bibliographic reference: John Morris (ed). 1978. Domesday Book: Buckinghamshire.
- <7>SBC26952 Bibliographic reference: George Lipscomb. 1847. The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham (Volume 2). Volume 2. pp31-56.
- <8>SBC19727 Bibliographic reference: James Joseph Sheahan. 1862. History and Topography of Buckinghamshire. pp63-71.
- <9>SBC5653 Bibliographic reference: Robert Gibbs. 1885. A History of Aylesbury. pp18-76.
- <10>SBC871 Graphic material: David Baynes-Cope & Cecily Baker. 1945. PLAN OF CRYPT UNDER LADY CHAPEL & NOTES ON EXCAVATIONS, FILED.
- <11>SBC11706 Bibliographic reference: Nikolaus Pevsner. 1960. The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire. pp54-56.
- <12>SBC10435 Map: OS 1966 1:1250 MAP.
- <13>SBC14637 Unpublished document: 1981. SMITH J T (RCHM) 1981 LETTER IN CAS FILE 0354.
- <14>SBC4440 Article in serial: Brian Durham. 1978. 'TRACES OF A LATE SAXON CHURCH AT ST MARY'S, AYLESBURY', IN RECS OF BUCKS 20 PP621-626. Vol 20.
- <15>SBC761 Article in serial: Keith Bailey. 1989. 'OSYTH, FRITHUWOLD & AYLESBURY', IN RECS OF BUCKS 31 PP37-48. Vol 31.
- <16>SBC1813 Article in serial: Geoff Brandwood. 1992. BRANDWOOD G 1992 'A DISGRACE TO THE TOWN': AYLESBURY CHURCH & ITS RESTORATION, IN RECS OF BUCKS 34. Vol 34. pp1-10, plates 1-2.
- <17>SBC3590 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1973. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Buckinghamshire: Aylesbury Vale: Aylesbury. p42, updated 30th August 2001.
- <18>SBC22198 Bibliographic reference: Rev Dennis Davies. Undated. A Walk Around St Mary's (church guide).
- <19>SBC22199 Bibliographic reference: John White. 1990. A Short History of Bells and Bellringing at St Mary's Church Aylesbury.
- <20>SBC22200 Graphic material: Various. Undated. Post cards of St Mary's Church.
- <21>SBC22461 Article in serial: Hugh Hanley. 2005. 'Some New Light on Caldecote and the Ancient Endowment of Aylesbury Minster', in Records of Bucks Vol 45 pp33-44. Vol 45.
- <22>SBC23021 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. St Mary's Church Boundary Wall, Aylesbury: Archaeological Watching Brief Report.
- <23>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF051362.
- <24>SBC23365 Unpublished document: M Farley. 2000. Churches, chapels and other religious meeting places in Aylesbury to c.1920: a short bibliography of published references.
- <25>SBC23388 Article in serial: J Pickburn?. 1863. St Mary's Church, Aylesbury - Description of the west window which has recently been filled with stained glass.
- <26>SBC23391 Article in serial: J Pickburn?. 1854. Aylesbury Church in 1848.
- <27>SBC20467 Bibliographic reference: Royal Commision on Historical Monuments. 1913. Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume 2 North. Volume 2. pp12-13.
- <28>SBC28638 Bibliographic reference: David Knowles & R Neville Hadcock. 1953,1971. Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales. p466.
- <29>SBC27441 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE). Insert 1997, Update 1998,1999, 2011.
Location
| Grid reference | SP 81710 13915 (point) |
|---|---|
| Civil Parish | AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire |
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: East Gateway to St Mary's Churchyard (Building) (0257504000)
- Parent of: SOUTH GATEWAY TO CHURCHYARD (Building) (0257503000)
- Parent of: ST MARY'S CHURCH (Monument) (0257500001)
- Parent of: ST MARY'S CHURCH (Monument) (0257502000)
- Parent of: ST MARY'S CHURCH, AYLESBURY (Monument) (0257501000)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by Historic Buildings Officer (EBC13569)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2026 3:34PM