Monument record 0551300000 - LAKE END ROAD WEST: banjo enclosure
- Planning Notification Area: Neolithic pits, multiperiod field system and Saxon pits partly excavated for flood alleviation scheme
- SHINE: Prehistoric to Roman field systems, farmsteads and Anglo-Saxon pits and trackways, partly excavated in advance of the Jubillee River at Lake End Road
Type and Period (1)
- (Former Type) BANJO ENCLOSURE? (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC? to 42 AD?)
Dimensions - radius 0021 m
Plan form - circular
Much of banjo enclosure clearly visible as cropmark. N part only faintly visible. A brief visit produced only fire-fractured flint. Plotted at 1:2500 (B1).
Excavation/geophysical survey failed to locate any ditches or any archaeological features, so the enclosure's existence is doubtful. Trial trenching across the site revealed ditches, pits, postholes and a cremation burial was also discovered inside an inverted Deverel-Rimbury urn (B3,B10).
Fieldwalking in advance of the proposed Maidenhead Flood Relief Scheme at the Lake End West site, produced concentrations of fire cracked flint (8025 fragments), Roman pottery (32 sherds), medieval pottery (252 sherds), and ceramic tile (917 sherds). The medieval finds were concentrated to the east of the site, and the flint to the centre and to the west. The Roman pottery potery was mostly found to the east (B4).
- <1>SBC2399 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1986. The Dorney Study: An Archaeological Implications Report.
- <2>SBC6514 Bibliographic reference: A P Hunn. 1990. MAIDENHEAD, WINDSOR & ETON FLOOD ALLEVIATION SCHEME: A STUDY OF THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL IMPLICATIONS.
- <3>SBC23793 Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Service. 1991. Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Alleviation Scheme: Archaeological Evaluation Stage 3 1991.
- <4>SBC20143 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum. 1990. Record of fieldwalking by the County Museum Archaeological Group at the Lake End West site.
- <5>SBC19799 Monograph: Stuart Foreman, Jonathan Hiller and David Petts et al. 2002. Gathering the people, settling the land: the archaeology of a middle Thames landscape.
- <6>SBC20149 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 1990. Interim site plan and report in post-Roman pottery for the Lake Road West Site.
- <7>SBC21903 Aerial Photograph: RCHM (NMR). 1980. 1980 RCHM (NMR) Oblique AP. SU922795. Yes.
- <8>SBC23605 Bibliographic reference: Tim Allen, Chris Hayden & Hugo Lamdin-Whymark. 2009. From Bronze Age Enclosure to Anglo-Saxon Settlement: Archaeological Excavations at Taplow Hillfort.
- <9>SBC20153 Article in serial: Stuart Foreman. 1998. Excavations in advanceof the Environment Agency Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Eleviation Scheme. SMA 28, 1998.
- <10>SBC23792 Unpublished document: Bartlett-Clark Consultancy. 1990. Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Alleviation Scheme: Report of Archaeogeophysical Evaluation. p2;Appendix;Fig 4.
|Grid reference||SU 9256 7942 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DORNEY, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
- FLAKE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- BURNT FLINT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- SHERD (Early Neolithic to Saxon - 4000 BC? to 1065 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: LAKE END ROAD WEST: cremation burial (Monument) (0551301000)
- Parent of: LAKE END ROAD WEST: prehistoric field system (Monument) (0551302000)
- Parent of: LAKE END ROAD WEST: Romano-British farmstead (Monument) (0551303000)
- Parent of: LAKE END ROAD WEST: Romano-British field system (Monument) (0551303001)
- Parent of: LAKE END ROAD WEST: Saxon Meeting Place (Monument) (0551304000)
- Parent of: LAKE END ROAD WEST: Saxon trackways (Monument) (0551304001)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: (EBC1052)
- Event - Survey: Aerial photography (EBC119)
- Event - Survey: Desk-based Assessment and Fieldwalking (EBC1054)
- Event - Intervention: Excavations along the line of the Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Eleviation Scheme (EBC16348)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical surveys (EBC17416)
- Event - Intervention: Investigations for Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Alleviation Scheme (EBC16358)
Record last edited
Feb 26 2022 11:06PM