Monument record 0521100000 - Field SE of ST JAMES' CHURCH, BOARSTALL pottery production site
- Planning Notification Area: Site of Medieval pottery kilns suggested by finds scatters
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
POTTERY IN CHARACTERISTIC BRILL/BOARSTALL FABRIC DISCOVERED IN FIELD CENTRED C170M SOUTH, SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH. SUBSEQUENTLY 2 FIELDWALKS FOUND AT LEAST 6 DISCRETE POTTERY CONCENTRATIONS & A LARGE GENERAL SCATTER ALONG SOUTH EDGE OF FIELD. INDICATES KILNS OF PROBABLY 2 PERIODS, C13/14& C15/16 (B1). & SEE CASS 5233
A field survey carried out by June Stong noted 3 kiln sites, a well, and up to 12 house platforms in this field (B3).
- ---SBC18758 Aerial Photograph: 13/06/47. RAF 133.4018. SP\623130. Yes.
- <1>SBC8457 Verbal communication: MEF 1983(MARCH) PERS COMM; GRID SQUARE PLAN OF FIE LDWALKING IN HANGING FILE & FILED.
- <2>SBC2652 Unpublished document: Stan Cauvain. 1991. STUDY OF THE CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF CERAMIC MATERIALS FROM MEDIEVAL KILNS IN SOUTH BUCKS.
- <3>SBC19902 Unpublished document: June Strong. 1997. Archive of survey of Boarstall medieval settlement undertaken voluntarily for the National Trust.
- <4>SBC19904 Unpublished document: CMAG. 1983. Archive of CMAG fieldwalking of Great Bardols Field, Boarstall..
- <5>SBC19903 Unpublished document: Len Rees. 1997-8. Archive of researcher Len Rees with regard to finds made in Great Bardols Field, Boarstall, also Boarstall Decoy.
- <6>SBC24864 Article in serial: Michael Farley & Barbara Hurman. 2017. 'The Production of Medieval Decorated Floor-Tiles at Boarstall, with a Note on Boarstall's Late Medieval Map', in Recs of Bucks 57 pp117-146.
|Grid reference||SP 6255 1401 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||BOARSTALL, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
- MUSKET BALL (Post-Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1798 AD?)
- VESSEL (13th Century to 16th Century - 1200 AD? to 1599 AD?)
- DAGGER (13th Century to 19th Century - 1200 AD? to 1899 AD?)
- BUCKLE (13th Century to 19th Century - 1200 AD to 1899 AD)
- HARNESS (13th Century to Modern - 1200 AD to 1999 AD)
- COIN (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 1999 AD)
- CUTLERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT BOILER (Unknown date)
- SPINDLE WHORL (13th Century to Post-Medieval - 1200 AD to 1798 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: Counchingrass Meadow SE of ST JAMES' CHURCH, BOARSTALL house platforms (Monument) (0521102003)
- Parent of: Field SE of ST JAMES' CHURCH kiln (Find Spot) (0521101001)
- Parent of: Field SE of ST JAMES' CHURCH, BOARSTALL (Monument) (0521102000)
- Parent of: Field SE of ST JAMES' CHURCH, BOARSTALL kiln (Find Spot) (0521101000)
- Parent of: Field SE of ST JAMES' CHURCH, BOARSTALL settlement and hut platforms (Monument) (0521102004)
- Parent of: Field SW of ST JAMES' CHURCH, BOARSTALL kiln (Find Spot) (0521101002)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13650)
- Event - Intervention: Field survey (EBC16202)
- Event - Intervention: Fieldwalking and metal detecting survey of Great Bardols field and fields south of Boarstall Decoy (EBC16203)
- Event - Intervention: Fieldwalking of Great Bardols field and invesigation of pottery production site (EBC12914)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 6:29PM