Monument record 0052501000 - MOAT FARM
- Ancient Monument BU136: Templars' site at Moat Farm, Hedgerley
Type and Period (3)
- TEMPLARS PRECEPTORY (13th Century to 14th Century - 1200 AD to 1399 AD)
- FARM (17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
- MANOR HOUSE (14th Century to 17th Century - 1300 AD to 1699 AD)
Bulstrode Preceptory founded pre-1276 & dissolved 1308-12. Did not pass to Hospitallers (account of property 1309) (B4).
Probable that it stood on site of Moat Farm, which became capital messuage until manor united with Bulstrode 1686, when it became home farm for Bulstrode Park (B1-7,B21).
A change in ownership and proposed use for the field (grazing by horses) prompted a site visit accompanied by the EH monument warden. It was noted that the field was covered in long grass and that there were reeds in the lower parts. The new owner noted that there was sewage discharge into the field from the farm's septic tank. The earthworks were visible as a low undulating platform on the east side of the field with a broad low depression on the south and west sides. There is also a bank linking the hedgerow bank to the platform. It is unclear whether these are original elements of the site or the result of disturbance from adjacent grazing /road construction. However, the possibility that the platform does define the moated island ought to be considered (B19).
- <1>SBC20460 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1905. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume I. Volume 1. p391.
- <2>SBC4494 Bibliographic reference: G C Edmonds. 1964. HISTORY OF CHALFONT ST PETER & GERRARDS CROSS PP9, 11.
- <3>SBC7150 Bibliographic reference: D Knowles & R N Hadcock. 1971. MEDIEVAL RELIGIOUS HOUSES IN ENGLAND & WALES; 2ND EDITION PP292-293.
- <4>SBC7360 Article in serial: C Le Messurier. 1981. 'TEMPLE BULSTRODE IN 1309', IN TIMESPAN: JOURNAL OF MIDDLE THAMES ARCH & HIST SOC 25 PP21-23. No 25.
- <5>SBC2534 Unpublished document: CASS 01540.
- <6>SBC7361 Unpublished document: LE MESSURIER C, OCT 1978/JULY 1979 (REPORT FILED).
- <7>SBC793 Article in monograph: A Baker & C Le Messurier. 1980. 'BULSTRODE', IN RICE M A SOUTH BUCKS VILLAGE - THE HISTORY OF HEDGERLEY PP32-36.
- <19>SBC20096 Unpublished document: Sandy Kidd. 2000. Report of Site Visit to Moat Farm.
- <21>SBC20462 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1925. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume III. Volume 3. p280.
|Grid reference||SU 97800 88300 (point)|
|Civil Parish||GERRARDS CROSS, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC16298)
Record last edited
May 30 2022 7:32PM