Building record 1156700000 - WADDESDON MANOR
- Conservation Area: Waddesdon Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I)
- Listed Building (I) 1117804: WADDESDON MANOR
Type and Period (2)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- (Former Type) AIR RAID SHELTER (Modern - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
GRADE I. MANSION.1874-83, BY HIPPOLYTE ALEXANDRE DESTAILLEUR, FOR BARON FERDINAND DE ROTHSCHILD. BATH STONE, STEEPLY PITCHED SLATE ROOFS. IN STYLE OF A C16 FRENCH CHATEAU, INCORPORATING ELEMENTS FROM BLOIS, MAINTENON, CHAMBORD & CHAUMONT. APPROXIMATELY E-PLAN WITH CIRCULAR STAIRCASE TOWERS IN ANGLES WITH SIDE [MORE](B1).
In 1939 one hundred small children and their nursing staff settled in Waddesdon Manor. The children were drawn from four Croydon nursery homes. The cellars at Waddesdon Manor were used as an air raid shelter for the children (B8).
Buildings report dated April 1991 held at NMR (B12).
Desk based assessment concluded that: The impact of the development proposals, particualrly the car park, will be fo great benefit to the estate and the village as a whole. See report for further details (B16).
Geophysical survey, targeted on projected route of Roman Akeman Street, failed to definitively locate the location of the Roman road. See report for details (B17).
- ---SBC20728 Aerial Photograph: Michael Farley. 2001. 2001 oblique AP by Mike Farley. SP74581426. Yes.
- <1>SBC19269 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p68.
- <2>SBC4631 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 1994. REGISTER OF PARKS & GARDENS OF SPECIAL HISTORIC INTEREST IN ENGLAND: PART 4: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE. 4.
- <3>SBC4649 Bibliographic reference: S Eriksen. 1965. WADDESDON MANOR: A GUIDE TO THE HOUSE AND ITS CONTENTS.
- <4>SBC20263 Unpublished document: Colson Stone Partnership. 1992. Waddesdon Parkland Restoration Plan.
- <5>SBC22410 Unpublished document: National Trust. 2003. Report Describing the Results of Archaeological Excavations Undertaken at the Aviary Garden, Waddesdon Manor.
- <6>SBC22453 Unpublished document: Northamptonshire Archaeology. 2004. Archaeological evaluation for the site of 'The Frog Fountain' at Waddesdon Manor.
- <7>SBC22598 Unpublished document: Northamptonshire Archaeology. 2006. Archaeological Investigation at Waddesdon Manor, June 2005.
- <8>SBC22804 Monograph: Ivor Gurney & Norman Carr. 2004. Waddesdon Through the Ages. p169, 170, 175.
- <11>SBC23092 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 2008. Durability Guaranteed: Pulhamite Rockwork - its Conservation and Repair.
- <12>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF105693.
- <13>SBC20535 Bibliographic reference: Hazelle Jackson. 2001. Shell Houses and Grottoes.
- <14>SBC23473 Article in serial: Abi Brydon. 2009. Feature article on Waddesdon Gardens in The Bucks Herald, 1st July 2009.
- <15>SBC23758 Bibliographic reference: Aylesbury Vale District Council. 2014. Waddesdon Conservation Area Review.
- <16>SBC24267 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2011. Desk-based Impact Assessment: Visitor Car Park, Waddesdon Manor.
- <17>SBC24270 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2011. Geophysical Survey: Old Park, Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire.
- <18>SBC24565 Bibliographic reference: Norman Carr & Ivor Gurney. 1996. Waddesdon's Golden Years 1874-1925.
- <19>SBC25073 Bibliographic reference: Claude Hitching. 2012. Rock Landscapes: The Pulham Legacy.
|Grid reference||SP 73300 16510 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WADDESDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey at Old Park, Waddesdon Manor (EBC17547)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13595)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2020 10:52AM