Monument record 0562500000 - FIELD E OF COLDHARBOUR FARM
- Planning Notification Area: Iron Age settlement found by fieldwalking, trial trenching and excavation
Type and Period (2)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Early Neolithic to Post-Medieval - 4000 BC to 1798 AD)
- SETTLEMENT? (Early Neolithic to 5th Century Roman - 4000 BC? to 409 AD)
DURING SYSTEMATIC FIELDWALKING VARIOUS FINDS MADE. WHOLE FIELD WALKED ONCE (SEE 01:000); PART OF FIELD WALKED TWICE (SEE 02:000). SAXON SITE IDENTIFIED (B1).
SUBSEQUENT EVALUATION EXCAVATION FAILED TO LOCATE SAXON OCCUPATION BUT REVEALED A LATE IA SETTLEMENT (SEE 03:000 & B2).
Further open area excavation confirmed trial trenching results. No Saxon occupation evidence but mainly early Iron Age settlement. Also evidence for Neolithic, late Iron Age (Belgic) and Roman periods (B3-4).
- <1>SBC678 Bibliographic reference: AYLESBURY PAST PROJECT FIELD WALK REPORT 22 (FILED)/DALWOOD H & PLATELL A 1988 THE AYLESBURY PAST PR.
- <2>SBC14897 Article in serial: Stewart I J. 1990. COLDHARBOUR FARM AYLESBURY, AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATION.
- <3>SBC19297 Article in serial: Bonner D and Parkhouse J. 1997. Investigations at the Prehistoric site at Coldharbour Farm, Aylesbury.
- <4>SBC19298 Article in serial: Parkhouse J. 1997. Coldharbour Farm, Aylesbury in South Midlands Archaeology 27.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 8042 1353 (450m by 600m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HARTWELL, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2018 5:50PM