Monument record 0023900000 - THORNEY FARM
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- OCCUPATION SITE (Early Iron Age to 5th Century Roman - 700 BC to 409 AD)
POTTERY RECOVERED AFTER GRAVEL EXTRACTION WHICH HAD SECTIONED PITS WITH VERTICAL SIDES & FLAT BOTTOMS, WITH IA FILLING & MED FILLING ABOVE. IN GRAVEL OUTCROP WAS A RB PIT & HEARTH & FURTHER RB PITS WITH SHERDS, BONE, BRONZE FRAG. (B1).
FURTHER REPORT (B2).
ARCHIVE & FINDS GIVEN TO BCM (B3).
Neolithic sherds and flint flakes were found in the area of cropmarks at Thorney, which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Some of these finds were collected from a ditch of unknown prehistoric date.
Some pottery and a hearth of Romano-British date were found in the area of cropmarks at Thorney (B5).
- ---SBC18014 Aerial Photograph: FAS 1593/084. TQ\044796. Yes.
- <1>SBC3459 Bibliographic reference: DENINGTON R F & GALLANT L 1964 THE IRON AGE POTTER Y FROM THORNEY FARM,IVER,IN RECSOFBUCKS17PP240-25.
- <2>SBC8514 Bibliographic reference: MIDDLE THAMES ARCH & HIST SOC NEWSLETTER 1962 1(2) P11; (7) PP11-13.
- <3>SBC1524 Bibliographic reference: BCM LOANS REGISTER (& SEE NOTES ETC FILED).
- <4>SBC12090 Bibliographic reference: PIKE A R FROM NMR A/P,JUNE 1980 (COPY AT BCM).
- <5>SBC22555 Unpublished document: Greater London Council. 1977. The Archaeology of the Colne Valley Park. Table 7, Table 10.
- <6>SBC24636 Unpublished document: RSK Environment Ltd. 2015. Thorney Park Golf Course (Longford 132kV Diversion): Detailed Desk Based Assessment.
|Grid reference||TQ 04400 79600 (point)|
|Civil Parish||IVER, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: (EBC10864)
Record last edited
Sep 21 2017 5:44PM