Monument record 0194400000 - WALTON, AYLESBURY
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (6th Century to 8th Century - 500 AD? to 799 AD?)
POSSIBLE SAXON CEMETERY, PERHAPS WITH INHUMATIONS & CREMATIONS. INDICATED BY FINDS OF SKELETONS & ARTEFACTS IN THIS AREA. THE ABOVE LOCATION IS FROM AN OLD BCM MAP WHICH SHOWS THE LOCATION OF BONES ETC FOUND IN 1921 & THE 1930'S (B3). SEE B5; ALSO CASS 0042, 0147, 0353.
Trial trenching and metal-detector survey carried out by AS&C in November and December 2009 in advance of a further extension of the cemetery failed to find any evidence of burials and little evidence of activity before the medieval period. The site appears to have been in use as arable land during the medieval and post-medieval periods, with significant truncation and reworking of soils occuring as a result of ploughing and recent use as allotments. See report for detail (B7).
- <1>SBC903 Unpublished document: BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTER.
- <2>SBC903 Unpublished document: BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTER.
- <3>SBC8467 Map: MEF FROM OLD BCM 6IN (COUNTY SERIES) RECORD MAP 1923.
- <4>SBC5184 Article in serial: Mike Farley (BCM). 1976. 'SAXON & MEDIEVAL WALTON, AYLESBURY, EXCAVATIONS 1973-4', IN RECS OF BUCKS 20 PP153-291. Vol 20.
- <5>SBC13723 Verbal communication: REV CN WHITE 1978 (FEB) TO ARP PERS COMM.
- <6>SBC4721 Bibliographic reference: EXECUTORS OF REV CN WHITE 1983.
- <7>SBC23603 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2010. Archaeological Evaluation: Tring Road Allotments, Aylesbury.
|Grid reference||SP 8297 1341 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Intervention: Disturbed find (EBC1215)
- Event - Intervention: Trial trenching (Ref: ATC 1183) (EBC17278)
Record last edited
Jan 30 2020 6:30PM