Monument record 0001604000 - Field NW of Cholesbury Camp
- Planning Notification Area: Earthworks of Prehistoric hillfort and Medieval parish church of St Lawrence, Cholesbury
Type and Period (2)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- DITCH (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
Geophysical surveys in paddock to NW of hillfort possibly picked up the end of the ditch and internal bank of the earthwork spur extending north from the outwork. Other anomalies are probably field drains. See report for detail (B24).
Day Kimball's 1932 trench plan shows the ditch terminal earthworks extended into this area (B6,B9).
- <6>SBC7096 Article in serial: D Kimball. 1933. 'CHOLESBURY CAMP', IN BRITISH ARCHAEOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION JNL 39 PP187-212. Vol 39.
- <9>SBC10852 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD SP 90 NW 03 (PLAN).
- <24>XYSBC25485 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society. 2016. Beside the Boundary of Cholesbury Camp: Geophysical Survey Report. [Mapped feature: #45021 ]
|Grid reference||SP 92834 07233 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHOLESBURY-CUM-ST. LEONARDS, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical surveys (EBC18335)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2021 2:37PM