Monument record 0079900000 - LARBOURNE FARM, THORNEY
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
MAMMALIAN BONES & POTTERY FOUND DURING GRAVEL EXTRACTION 1960-1 (00:001-003) (B1). EXCAVATION IN 1962 PRODUCED BONES, ROMAN & MED POT, ROMAN TILE & EGYPTIAN USHABIT (B2-4). IN 1966 THE DISCOVERY OF A HUMAN SKULL WAS REPORTED FROM THE SITE (B5).
In Lavenden's pit, immediately east of Mansion Lane and 50 yards north of the canal, many flint artefacts were found: 16 handaxes, one chopper, two cleavers, one hammerstone, one levalloisian blade and flakes (B7)
In the ballast pits east of Larborne farm in Iver, Romano-British pottery and may broken fragments rangingin datefrom the first to the fourth centuries AD have been found. They have been studied and classified at the Museum of London. The quantity of the finds and their range in date would justify further investigation in this area, although it appears that most of this site has already been destroyed by gravel workings (B7)
- <1>SBC13246 Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 17 1961 P88.
- <2>SBC2768 Unpublished document: CELORIA F LARBOURNE FARM IVER (TYPESCRIPT NOTE WITH DIAGRAMATIC SECTION, FILED).
- <3>SBC978 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum. 1963. BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTER 1963.
- <4>SBC3217 Unpublished document: CORRESPONDENCE(FILED).
- <5>SBC8512 Article in serial: MIDDLE THAMES ARCH & HIST SOC 1966 NEWS BULLETIN 1 (8) P15.
- <6>SBC865 Unpublished document: 1962. BAWTREE M, 3RD FEB 196 2 LETTER TO C GOWING (FILED).
- <7>SBC22555 Unpublished document: Greater London Council. 1977. The Archaeology of the Colne Valley Park. Table 2, Table 10.
|Grid reference||TQ 0455 7860 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||IVER, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation (EBC10993)
Record last edited
Sep 13 2016 6:52PM