Building record 0077003000 - FOSCOTT MANOR
- Listed Building (II) 1214950: FOSCOTT MANOR
- SHINE: Foscott Medieval shrunken village earthworks with associated ridge and furrow cultivation, fishponds & manor site, and Foscott Roman villa site
Type and Period (1)
- MANOR HOUSE (17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0022 m Width 0030
Plan Form - SUBRECTANGULAR
Grade II. Large house, Mid C17 S.E. Block, much restored and extended to N.W. 1868 and 1908 (rainwater heads). Coursed rubble stone with stone dressings, old tile roof, coped gables with ball finials and moulded kneelers. C19 brick chimney stacks with pilasters and off- set heads, thin brick to base of two stacks in S.E. block. Two storeys and attic. S.E. front: three gabled bays articulated with two orders of C17 fluted Doric pilasters, and restored low plinth, first floor band course and upper entablature. Stone mullion leaded windows with cornices to heads, altered early C20, transomed to ground and first floors: 4-light flanking 3-light to ground floor, 3-light flanking 2-light to first floor, 2-light to attic. Two carved stone heads to attic above central pilasters. N.E. front restored and altered C19, part ashlar : three bays, similar windows, two C19 hipped dormers. Central bay has C17 three storey gabled projection with rebuilt Jacobean-style porch projecting to ground floor : depressed moulded arch flanked by engaged Doric columns on plinths with triglyph and roundel entablature broken forward over columns and keystone; original obelisk finials. Right-hand bay projects to ground. Service wing at right-angles has one-and-a-half storeys and two gabled bays with 3-light stone mullion windows. Interior: staircase c.1640 has moulded handrail, closed string, panelled newels with pierced pendants and elaborate finials, and turned balusters flanking pierced square panels. RCHM II p.116 MON 3 VCH IV p 170 (B10).
NGR TO MANOR HOUSE.
Architects' elevation drawings (B13).
Architects' plans and elevation drawings (B14).
- <10>SBC19250 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p19.
- <13>SBC23576 Graphic material: Merrick Architects. 1999. Architects' elevation drawings of Foscott Manor.
- <14>SBC23577 Graphic material: Acanthus Clews Architects. 2001. Architects' plans and elevation drawings of Foscott Manor.
|Grid reference||SP 71667 35883 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||FOSCOTT, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by Historic Buildings Officer (EBC13585)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2018 3:40PM