Monument record 0689605000 - Eton Rowing Lake (Areas 9 and 10)
- None recorded
Type and Period (3)
- SITE (Early Neolithic to Saxon - 4000 BC to 1065 AD)
- WELL (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC? to 1001 BC)
- BURIAL (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
Oxford Archaeology stripped an area of 0.82ha on top of the gravel terrace S of the former Thames Channel and chose three areas for further excavation. Some 2260 struck flints, 2000 sherds of Neolithic pottery and 320 fragments of animal bones were recorded. The struck flints included polished axe fragments, leaf-shaped arrowheads and a single chisel, plus cores. Quern fragments were also present. The pottery was mainly from round-bottomed plain bowls, but included a small proportion of early Ebbsfleet ware suggesting a middle Neolithic date. Five animal burials of middle Bronze Age date were also found, one of these being a mare and neo-natal foal. A distinct concentration of acitivy was noted to the east of the area by concentrations of burnt flint. A large 'working hollow' was also noted. To the east and north of this, pallisade slots were found at right angles to a boundary dicth or fence slot continiung SE. Three large waterholes were also found. One contained much middle Bronze Age debris, another no dating material, and the third (possibly a well?) contained a vertical plank lining with Roman and possibly Saxon pottery in the fill (B1).
- ---SBC19097 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeological Unit. 1995. The Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Bucks..
- ---SBC19717 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1995. South Midlands Archaeology 25, 1995. No 25.
- ---SBC19799 Monograph: Stuart Foreman, Jonathan Hiller and David Petts et al. 2002. Gathering the people, settling the land: the archaeology of a middle Thames landscape.
- ---SBC19846 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1998. South Midlands Archaeology 28, 1998. 28.
- ---SBC19988 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 1996. Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Buckinghamshire - Archaeological Evaluations 1995.
- ---SBC19989 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. The Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Buckinghamshire - Archaeological Evaluations 1995.
- ---SBC20194 Article in serial: Tim Allen and Ken Walsh. Eton Rowing lake. 148. pp124-7.
- ---SBC20195 Article in serial: Hugo Lamdin-Whymark. 2002. Neolthic Activity on the floodplain of the River Thames at Dorney. Vol 22. pp22-36.
- ---SBC2399 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1986. The Dorney Study: An Archaeological Implications Report.
- <1>SBC19997 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1996. South Midlands Archaeology 26, 1996. pp29.
- <2>SBC19770 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1997. South Midlands Archaeology 27, 1997. pp27.
|Grid reference||SU 92998 77878 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DORNEY, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC11855)
- Event - Intervention: Eton College Rowing Course Project (EBC16357)
Record last edited
Oct 20 2022 2:46PM