Monument record 0687404000 - Penn Wood Camp
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- ARMY CAMP (Modern - 1939 AD? to 1951 AD)
Miles Green's History of Penn Wood notes that the woodland became a military training area during World War II. Nissen huts, pre-fabs and concrete roads ran along the full length of the wood behind the common and almost up to the church, The camp was established by the Tyneside Survey Regiment and could accommodate 300 people. Canadian and American troops were also based there, with officers being billeted in local houses. An obstacle course was set-up off the New Road leading to Penn Bottom. The cookhouse was between the pond and the wood. At the end of the war, the camp was used as a reception centre for returning POWs. The woods were de-requisitioned in June 1946 and in August 1946 the camp became the temporary home of the 2nd Polish Corps whilst they awaited resettlement. 119 Poles remained in 1948. The NAAFI block was used by squatters until 1950 when, after questions were asked in parliament, the common was cleared, reinstated and handed back to the Parish Council. Ernest Cook, the then owner of Penn Wood, gave 1 acre woodland to increase the size of the cricket pitch. Two large dells were filled in with the spoil and rubbish (2).
- <1>SBC20067 Unpublished document: Neil Sanderson. 2000. Ecological and Historic Landscape Assessment of Penn Wood.
- <2>SBC19623 Bibliographic reference: Miles Green. 1999. The History of Penn Wood.
|Grid reference||SU 92239 95898 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PENN, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Ecological and historic landscape survey (EBC16289)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2003 4:45PM