Landscape record 0638600000 - Aylesbury Vale Park
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- PUBLIC PARK (First mentioned 1880's, Modern to 21st Century - 1929 AD to 2099 AD)
Present layout is 20th century as a Municipal Park. Marked on the 1st and 2nd edition 6-inch maps as a cricket ground. Present park must post-date 1900 (B1).
Site of Vale Park was purchased by the Borough Council in 1929. Tennis courts and a putting green were immediately laid out, but the landscaping was not completed until 1937. The open-air swimming pool was opened in 1935 (B2).
Original 1930s design by landscape architect Thomas Mawson. Feature in Bucks Herald on Vale Park and current & proposed developments (B3).
Illustrated account of ephemeral patterns created by Chris Parsons in dew on the bowling greens in Vale Park in the early 2000s (B4).
- <1>SBC19002 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1998. Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
- <2>SBC19608 Bibliographic reference: Hugh Hanley & Julian Hunt. 1993. Aylesbury: A Pictorial History. Captions to Plates 120-121..
- <3>SBC22705 Article in serial: Bucks Herald. 2006. Vale of Tranquility.
- <4>SBC24778 Bibliographic reference: Gordon Taylor & Guy Cooper. 2000. Gardens of Obsession: Eccentric and Extravagant Visions. pp154-157.
|Grid reference||SP 8255 1390 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2016 11:29AM