Monument record 0065801000 - NW OF ST MARY'S CHURCH
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
PROSECUTIONS IN EXCHEQUER AFTER 1517 SUGGEST DECAY ALL THROUGH C15. SITE OF VILLAGE LIES TO W OF ISOLATED CHURCH (B7).
PLATFORMS OF DMV SEEN IN SECTION (B5).
ROAD HAS DESTROYED CENTRAL AREA OF HOUSE PLATFORMS & ALL OF REST OF VILLAGE HAS BEEN PLOUGHED (B8).
NO SURVEYABLE REMAINS OF VILLAGE (B10).
Geophysical surveys carried out by Pre-Construct Geophysics between January and May 2009 identified a dense concentration of settlement activity, pits, tracks and ditched property boundaries in Fields 10 and 11, representing much of the deserted medieval settlement. A curving boundary ditch appears to define the extent of the village on the north and east, with a possible extension to the south. A number of the anomalies detected in Field 11 (described as a ladder enclosure system) were visible as earthworks in aerial photos in the 1950s and 1960s. See report for detail (B14).
- <5>SBC13384 Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 1954 16 P27;1964 17 P309;1970 18 P44 1.
- <7>SBC1643 Bibliographic reference: BERESFORD M W 1953 NOTES ON BUCKS DMV'S (IN CAS FI LE 0000);BERESFORD M W & HURST J G 1971 DESERTED .
- <8>SBC5170 Bibliographic reference: FARLEY M E,NOV 1973,FIELD VISIT.
- <10>SBC10628 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Field Investigator. OS RECORD CARD.
- <14>SBC23506 Unpublished document: Pre-Construct Geophysics. 2009. Geophysical Survey: Fleet Marston, Aylesbury.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 7770 1612 (570m by 480m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FLEET MARSTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13970)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14201)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching (Ref: FLWF 11) (EBC17448)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical surveys (EBC17219)
- Event - Intervention: Test pitting and metal-detecting surveys (Ref: FLWF 11) (EBC17447)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2018 3:51PM