Monument record 0622200000 - PUTLOWES, FLEET MARSTON
- None recorded
Type and Period (3)
- TOWN? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FORT? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
RECORDS FOR FLEET MARSTON ROMAN TOWN RE-ORDERED. SEE CASS 00656, 00853, 01025, 06140 & 06223 FOR RECORDS RELATING TO EACH CONSTITUENT LAND PARCEL.
Geophysical surveys carried out by Pre-Construct Geophysics between January and May 2009 identified a dense concentration of pits and ditched property boundaries in Fields 8 and 9, representing part of the Roman settlement and possible boundary ditches defining the northern extent of the settlement. The enclosures appear to be laid out at right angles to a side road, but to be cut obliquely by Akeman Street. See report for detail (B7).
A group of linear anomalies  measuring approximately 40m by 65m has been detected in the south-central part of Area 2. These anomalies apparently represent part of an enclosure. They extend beyond the survey area. There are a number of anomalies within enclosure. Three of these anomalies feed directly off the main enclosure, forming possible internal sub-divisions. The remaining anomalies in the enclosure are less certain in nature. They are visible both as discrete anomalies and as a general zone of increased response. It is likely that many of these anomalies are archaeological in origin, but it is not possible to differentiate between archaeological responses and natural soil variation within this complex data. A pair of linear anomalies runs across the southern part of the site on a west-northwest/east-south-east alignment. The southern parallel anomaly is visible within Area 2 only, while the northern anomaly continues across Area 2 and through Area 1. The relationship between these features and enclosure is unclear. The southernmost of the parallel anomalies is much broader and more prominent than the northern feature. These responses run parallel to the projected line of Roman Akeman Street and may represent roadside ditches, although they are a few metres to the south of the projected alignment of the ancient thoroughfare. (B8)
- <1>SBC10613 Map: OS MAP OF ROMAN BRITAIN 1956 3RD EDITION P30 & MAP.
- <2>SBC13744 Bibliographic reference: RIVET A L F 1958 TOWN & COUNTRY IN ROMAN BRITAIN PP146,168.
- <3>SBC16291 Bibliographic reference: VIATORES 1964 ROMAN ROADS IN THE SE MIDLANDS PP37,44,45,272,273.
- <4>SBC14918 Unpublished document: STRONG J & FARLEY M E (BCM) MARCH 1975 (SEE MAP FILED AT CAS 0953).
- <5>SBC16480 Bibliographic reference: WEBSTER G 1980 THE ROMAN INVASION OF BRITAIN PP118-9 & MAP V (PHOTOCOPY, FILED).
- <6>SBC19649 Unpublished document: David Went (English Heritage). 1996. MPP Site Management Report.
- <7>SBC23506 Unpublished document: Pre-Construct Geophysics. 2009. Geophysical Survey: Fleet Marston, Aylesbury.
- <8>SBC24679 Unpublished document: High Speed 2 (HS2) Limited. 2013. London - West Midlands Environmental Statement, Volume 5, Technical Appendices, CFA11, Stoke Mandeville and Aylesbury, Survey Reports (CH-004-011).
- <10>SBC25240 Monograph: Edward Biddulph, Kate Brady, Andrew Simmonds & Stuart Foreman et al. 2019. Berryfields: Iron Age Settlement and a Roman Bridge, Field System and settlement Along Akeman Street near Fleet Marston.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 7820 1547 (2105m by 832m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||QUARRENDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||FLEET MARSTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (9)
- Parent of: 100M N OF PUTLOWES FARM (Find Spot) (0085200000)
- Parent of: BILLINGS FIELD, QUARRENDON (Monument) (0065600000)
- Parent of: GAS MAIN TRENCH (Find Spot) (0066200000)
- Parent of: PUTLOWES, FLEET MARSTON (Monument) (0622300000)
- Parent of: PUTLOWES, FLEET MARSTON (Monument) (0085300000)
- Parent of: PUTLOWES, FLEET MARSTON (Monument) (0614000000)
- Parent of: PUTLOWES, FLEET MARSTON (Monument) (0102500000)
- Parent of: PUTLOWES, FLEET MARSTON (Monument) (0622201000)
- Part of: AKEMAN STREET (Monument) (0105000000)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: (EBC1363)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14130)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14387)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking survey of fields south of Fleet Marston (Ref: CFL11 KB0AD a-d) (EBC17795)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical survey at Fleet Marston (Ref: CFA11 KB0AD-B) (EBC17792)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical surveys (EBC17219)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2019 4:13PM