Landscape record 0058306000 - ASCOTT (GD1583)
- Planning Notification Area: Late 19th century gardens and landscaped park at Ascott House
- Registered Park or Garden (II*) GD1583: Ascott House
Type and Period (3)
- GARDEN (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FORMAL GARDEN (Designed 2006, 21st Century - 2000 AD to 2099 AD)
GRADE II+. LATE C19 GARDEN WITH FORMAL FEATURES & INFORMAL LAWNS & WOODLAND. DESIGN OF GARDENS DICTATED BY LEOPOLD DE ROTHSCHILD, PROBABLY WITH ADVICE ON LAYOUT & PLANTING FROM SIR HARRY VEITCH. MAIN GARDENS TO S OF HOUSE, BEGINNING WITH BROAD GRASSY TERRACES EXTENDING S & SW [FURTHER DESCRIPTION & MAP](B8).
Visitors' guide to gardens (B9).
The Lynn Garden was designed by Jacques and Peter Wirtz in 2006 as an abstract arrangement of mounded turf forms, pools and stylized groves of trees in an enclosed area of about 0.6ha off the Serpentine Walk to the NW of the house. Detailed description (B11).
- <5>SBC9889 Bibliographic reference: NATIONAL TRUST 1976 LIST OF PROPERTIES.
- <6>SBC8263 Unpublished document: W L Mathews. 1989. NATIONAL TRUST ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY: ASCOTT.
- <8>SBC4637 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 1994. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Buckinghamshire. Part 4. Updated June 1999.
- <9>SBC24293 Unpublished document: National Trust. Undated. Ascott House Gardens.
- <11>SBC24487 Bibliographic reference: Tim Richardson. 2013. The New English Garden.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 8960 2279 (1376m by 1650m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WING, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 15 2016 4:23PM