Building record 0420806005 - Lodge, NW of mansion, Stowe Landscape Gardens
- Listed Building (II) 1211871: COTTAGE WITH ATTACHED RAILINGS, GATE PIERS AND WALL NORTH WEST OF THE MANSION
- SHINE: Stowe medieval to post medieval landscape garden, medieval deserted villages of Lamport & Boycott, shrunken village of Daford, also moats, manors and fishponds, ridge and furrow earthworks & cropmarks, and areas of ancient semi natural woodland
Type and Period (4)
- LODGE (Built about 1830, 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- GATE PIER (18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- WALL (18th Century - 1700 AD? to 1799 AD?)
- RAILINGS (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Grade II. Small lodge c1830 by Edward Blore. Brick with stone dressings. Hipped slate roof, dentil eaves. 1-storey. Central stone doric porch with pediment; sash window each side and one in each end elevation. C19 spearhead railings on left join cottage to a set of 4 C18 square stone gatepierswith cornices, crowned by urns to the larger, inner piers, balls to the smaller outer piers. High stone wall links piers to the western Leoni arch [CAS 0420801002](B14).
Pevsner and Williamson suggest the Garden Lodge was built in 1839 (B62).
- ---SBC17422 Aerial Photograph: 04/09/76. BCM A2/11/20-22. SP\674376. Yes.
- <14>SBC3681 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p23.
- <62>SBC19664 Bibliographic reference: Nikolaus Pevsner & Elizabeth Williamson. 1994. The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire. p687.
|Grid reference||SP 67302 37452 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||STOWE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13583)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2013 1:25PM