Monument record 0033600000 - QUARRENDON III (Brookend)
- Planning Notification Area: Earthworks of deserted Medieval hamlet
Type and Period (2)
- HAMLET (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
Minor DMV situated in permanent pasture & bounded by rig & furrow. Traces of street pattern, enclosures & possible housesteads visible (B5).
AP shows extent of DMV, with moat in NE corner (B2).
Site confirmed on ground, sketch filed (B4).
NGR to centre (B3).
Quarrendon I & II on CASS 00557,00560.
Identified as hamlet of Brookend, mentioned in late 14th and early 15th manorial accounts and manorial court records. In 1415 the hamlet was described as unoccupied following an outbreak of plague. Subsequent court records listing unoccupied land and cottages, show that the hamlet did not recover (B6).
- ---SBC18961 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 11/01/57. RAF F21.53/RAF/2081. SP\788177.
- <1>SBC12693 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P273.
- <2>SBC12478 Aerial Photograph: RAF 2081(?) Squadron. 1957. RAF Vertical Aerial Photograph, 1957: Run 21, frame 53.
- <3>SBC1668 Bibliographic reference: Beresford M W & Hurst J G. 1971. DESERTED MEDIEVAL VILLAGES. pp64,184,307.
- <4>SBC14922 Verbal communication: STRONG J (MRS) 1976(JAN) PERS COMM.
- <5>SBC10707 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD SP 71NE8 (CAS FILE).
- <6>SBC25478 Bibliographic reference: Garry Marshall. 2021. Finding Quarrendon: Tracing a Late Medieval Buckinghamshire Village Through Its Documents.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 7874 1774 (340m by 340m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||QUARRENDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: (EBC11399)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13248)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14201)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14514)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2021 2:26PM