A parochial chapel, sometimes known as a chapel-of-ease, is a subsidiary place of worship built for the convenience of parishioners who lived at a distance from the parish church. Parochial chapels were under the control ofthe parish church. In archaeological terms, however, a parochial chapel is difficult to distinguish from a parish church. Chapels-of-ease were established throughout the later Middle Ages (c1100-1500), and in the 16th and 17th centuries.
One nineteenth century chapel-of-ease in Buckinghamshire is St John the Baptist in Lacey Green, now a parish church.