Building record 1299000000 - CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
- Listed Building (II) 1125865: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
Type and Period (2)
- PARISH CHURCH (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- CHAPEL OF EASE (Built 1822-1825, 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Grade II. Parish church, formerly chapel of ease. Nave of 1822-25 by J. Chadley; chancel added 1871 by J. P. Seddon. Flint, Denner Hill stone quoins and chamfered plinth, chamfered brick window surrounds, cogged brick eaves. Roof re-tiled 1980. Cruciform nave; chancel with canted E. end and small organ chamber to north. W. end of nave has gabled porch with rendered 4-centred arch, and later brick chimney to -right. 3 bays of rectangular 3-light transomed windows to N. and S., the centre bays projecting with rendered Tudor hood-moulds over windows and rendered crosses in gables. Blind panels with 4-centred arches to W.sides of projections, N. projection with blocked 4-centred doorway to E. Later C19 bell-cote between nave and chancel, also a buttress to S. Chancel has flush brick band course, 2-light traceried stone windows, and arched door to S. Interior: nave plastered and colourwashed with wide 4-centred arches to central projections. Roof has slender hammer beam trusses with central 4-centred arches and turned pendants. W. gallery with panelled front on cast iron quatrefoil shafts. Armorial glass in central N.window commemorating original donors. Chancel is lined with yellow brick and patterned with red brick dressings and diapers. Steeply pointed chancel arch, another arch to organ chamber. Painted wooden vault. Stained glass of 1905 (B1).
- <1>SBC22140 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p34.
|Grid reference||SU 82495 99870 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||LACEY GREEN, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 15 2016 6:56PM