Monument record 0035401000 - MARKET SQUARE, AYLESBURY
- None recorded
Type and Period (3)
- MARKET HALL (First mentioned 1452-3, 15th Century to 19th Century - 1400 AD? to 1806 AD?)
- MARKET HALL (Demolished 1866, 19th Century - 1808 AD? to 1866 AD)
- CELLAR? (19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1899 AD?)
FIRST MENTION OF A MARKET HOUSE 1452/3. MAJOR RECONSTRUCTIONS IN TIMBER 1530 & 1642. IN 1806/8 THIS BUILDING WAS DEMOLISHED & AN OCTAGONAL STONE ONE BUILT; THIS WAS IN TURN DEMOLISHED IN 1866. A STONE CLOCK TOWER WAS ERECTED A SHORT DISTANCE TO SE IN 1876 AT ABOVE NGR. (FOR SOURCES ETC SEE B3 & CAS FILE).
Report of cellar beneath former Market House containing treadmill for pumping water, connected by tunnel to old county council buildings and to NW to shop at corner of Market Street (B9).
- <3>SBC5653 Bibliographic reference: Robert Gibbs. 1885. A History of Aylesbury. PP402-403; 425-4 26; 533-538; 551-552; & ILLUSTRATION ON REVERSE OF TITLE PAGE.
- <9>SBC22215 Unpublished document: Charles Waller. 2004. Letter from Charles Waller to Sandy Kidd (BCC) March 2004.
|Grid reference||SP 81955 13723 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2013 4:29PM