Monument record 0257501001 - ST MARY'S CHURCH
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCHYARD (7th Century to 11th Century - 600 AD? to 1099 AD?)
- INHUMATION CEMETERY (7th Century to 11th Century - 600 AD? to 1099 AD?)
A NUMBER OF FINDS OF SKELETONS IN THE CORE AREA OF AYLESBURY'S OLD TOWN COULD BE INTERPRETED AS BURIALS FROM A MINSTER CEMETERY (B4).
FOR RECORDS OF THESE FINDS SEE CASS 0257, 0278, 0290, 0450, 0451, 0473, 1776, 2097, 2172, 4177, 4700, 4703, 4728, 4785, 4991.
Watching brief carried out by Oxford Archaeology in July and August 2007 during rebuilding and repairs to SE section of churchyard wall identified 18th and 19th century churchyard soils and the 19th century foundations of the churchyard wall. Depth of excavation limited to 0.6m (current street level) (B22).
- <4>SBC5189 Article in serial: Mike Farley. 1979. 'BURIALS IN AYLESBURY AND THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE TOWN', IN RECS OF BUCKS 21 PP116-122. Vol 21.
- <5>SBC310 Article in serial: D Allen and Hal Dalwood. 1983. 'EXCAVATIONS IN GEORGE STREET, AYLESBURY 1981', IN RECS OF BUCKS 25 PP1-60.
- <22>SBC23021 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. St Mary's Church Boundary Wall, Aylesbury: Archaeological Watching Brief Report.
|Grid reference||SP 81710 13915 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: AYSMBW 07) (EBC16904)
Record last edited
Jul 11 2017 11:21AM