Building record 0256600000 - Old Latin School, WATERY LANE
- Listed Building (II) 1214915: THE OLD LATIN SCHOOL
- SHINE: Beachampton shrunken medieval village earthworks with associated ridge and furrow earthworks
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) FARMHOUSE? (Documented use in 1927, 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Former Type) SCHOOL (Founded 1652, 17th Century to 19th Century - 1652 AD to 1899 AD?)
Dimensions - Length 20m, Width 18m.
Plan Form - L shaped.
Grade II. Former school-house, now dwelling. Documented 1668, some C18 alterations. Founded by William Elmer of Grange Farmhouse opposite. Coursed rubble stone, plinth, rough quoins, timber lintels to openings, old tile roof, end stacks. School-room to centre of ground floor. Two storeys and attic, five bays. Leaded casements, 3-light to outer bays, 2-light to inner bays and above door on porch. Flat stone arch over lower right-hand window. Two gabled dormers with bargeboards and diagonally leaded paired casements to inner bays. Centre bay has two storey gabled porch with C19 6-panelled door set back under segmental moulded arch, string course at impost level. Central clock turret with pointed arched lights and leaded ogee cap on bracketted cornice. Modern extension to rear. RCHM II pp 62-3. Mon 7 (B6).
School founded by William Elmer, under his will of 3 January 1648 (List of schoolmasters 1669-1746)(B1).
School founded & endowed 1652 (B2).
School is of 2nd half of C17 (B4).
Documented 1668 (B6).
Brief history of school (B3,B7).
School now a farmhouse(B4, 1927); a dwelling (B6, 1983).
- <1>SBC16717 Bibliographic reference: WILLIS B 1755 HISTORY & ANTIQUITIES OF-- BUCKINGHA M PP141-2 /LIPSCOMB 2 P536.
- <2>SBC14168 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P261.
- <3>SBC20461 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1908. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume II. Volume 2. p218.
- <4>SBC13131 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP62-3.
- <5>SBC10273 Map: OS 1880/85 6IN (1.10560) MAP, 1ST EDN/OS 1978 1:25 00 MAP.
- <6>SBC19250 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p17a.
- <7>SBC20463 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1927. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume IV. Volume 4. pp149, 153.
|Grid reference||SP 77674 36657 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BEACHAMPTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by Historic Buildings Officer (EBC13585)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2022 7:33PM