Building record 0253900000 - ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, EDGCOTT
- Listed Building (II*) 1214280: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Michael, Edgcott
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1875, Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0021 m Width 0007
Grade II+. Parish church. Nave originally C12, altered C14 and C15. C14 chancel, C15 W. tower. C19 restorations and vestry by G.G. Scott. Coursed rubble stone, lead roof to nave, tiled chancel. 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet and 2-light traceried openings to bell chamber. W. doorway has moulded 2-centred arch and 2-light traceried window above. Nave has buttresses and plain parapet. 2 bays. Perpendicular windows to S., 2-light to left, 3-light to right. 4-centred moulded arch, much restored, with old door. Slight projection for rood-loft staircase to right with small light above. N. side has restored 2-light traceried window. Chancel has 2 wide lancets with hoodmoulds to S., one to N., all much restored. C19 3-light Decorated E. window. Interior: nave has stairs to rood-loft and C15 main roof timbers. Double chamfered chancel arch on half-columns with moulded caps. Chancel has C19 piscina and aumbry. C15 octagonal font. Some C15 trefoil headed bench ends. Other fittings C19. RCHM II p 105-6 (B7).
BODY, CHANCEL, W TOWER WITH 3 BELLS (B1).
CARVED HEAD NR PULPIT, USED AS BRACKET (B3).
N NAVE WALL PROB C12; CHANCEL & ARCH REBUILT C.1360. W TOWER LATER C15. REPAIRED 1604. N VESTRY ADDED 1875 (FULL ARCHIT DESCRIPTION)(B4-5).
MARKED AT NGR (B8).
NEGATIVE WATCHING BRIEF (B9).
A collection of sketches of Buckinghamshire churches by Charlotte Pigott, wife of George Pigott, squire of Doddershall in Quainton parish, in the early 1840s (B10).
- <1>SBC16676 Bibliographic reference: WILLIS B 1755 HISTORY & ANTIQUITIES OF BUCKINGHAM P183.
- <2>SBC7718 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 P9.
- <3>SBC14394 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP273-274.
- <4>SBC13016 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP105-106.
- <5>SBC16068 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 PP168-170.
- <6>SBC11700 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P114.
- <7>SBC3775 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. p2.
- <8>SBC10479 Map: OS 1979 1:2500 MAP.
- <9>SBC19106 Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Service. 2001. Church of St. Michael and All Angels, Edgcott: an Archaeological Watching Brief.
- <10>SBC23373 Article in serial: Elliott Viney. 1991. Bucks Churches in the Eighteen-Forties. Plate 2b, p70.
|Grid reference||SP 68000 22796 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EDGCOTT, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13589)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: ECB 01/32) (EBC16084)
Record last edited
Nov 8 2017 1:09PM