Building record 0235500000 - Church of St Lawrence, Church Walk
- Listed Building (II*) 1287430: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
Type and Period (2)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1884-1889, 14th Century to 19th Century - 1300 AD to 1899 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0017 m Width 0010
Plan Form - SUBRECTANGULAR
Grade II+. Parish church. C14 nave, aisles, chancel and tower, altered late C15, much restored 1884-9. Late C15 S porch added. N chapel and vestry 1889. Course rubble stone, tiled roof of nave and chancel lead roofs to aisles, W tower of 3 stages has battlemented parapet 3-light cusped perpendicular openings to bell-chamber, moulded Decorated doorway and 2-light window about west much restored. Nave has plan parapet, 2 3-light late C15 cusped windows and small central quatrefoil window to clerestory. S aisles has 4-light cusped Perpendicular windows flanking porch and in E end wall, and 2-light Decorated windows to right and in W wall, much restored. S door has moulded 2-centred archway. Fine C15 porch with battlemented parapet, finials, butresses and 4-centred arch on slender shafts to front with moulded purlins, ridge and carved bosses. N aisle has restored Perpendicular 3-light windows, small 2-light Decorated windows to left and, in W wall, and small 2-centred arched doorway. Chancel has 5-light Perpendicular window to E, and 4-lighht Perpendicular and 2-light Decorated window to S, and small Perpendicular doorway all restored. Interior: tower has 2-centred double chamfered arches on semi-octagonal responds to nave and aisles. Nave has 4-bay arcade of similar arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps. Similar arch to chancel. S chapel has pisicnia with 2 ogee cusped arches on corner of window reveal. N aisles has fragments of C15 wall paintings of St Thomas of Canterbury and St Christopher. Aisle roofs partly original. Chancel has decorated cinquefoil piscina with carved spandrels, restored sedilia and aumbrey, and C19 wall paintings. Altered C17 pulpit. Late C19-C20 glass. Other fittings c1900. Small brasses to Thomas Figge 1578 and Dorothy Barnard 1634 (B9)
'Monsterous' carved heads on porch; list of vicars 1326-1841 (B1).
Watching brief carried out in May 2002 by AS&C during service trenching for a drainage pipe recorded two courses of ashlar blocks approx 0.17m deep with a cream mortar near the northwest corner of the church representing the upper foundation courses of the church wall. See report for detail (B10).
In April 2010, Archaeological Services & Consultancy carried out an excavation at St Laurence's Meeting Room, in advance of a new extension. The excavation uncovered a number of archaeological features that included articulated Christian human burials dating from the late-Saxon to the post-medieval period, and a number of medieval and post-medieval linear ditches, gullies and pits. The excavation has identified a number of phases that can be linked to Anglo-Saxon and later activity on the site of St Laurence's Church, the alteration of the churchyard boundary and the land being divided up into medieval burgage plots (B11).
- <1>SBC7785 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP547-50.
- <2>SBC14474 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP794-5.
- <3>SBC13121 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP339-41.
- <4>SBC15795 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP468-9 &ILLUS OPPOSITE P464.
- <5>SBC10387 Map: OS 1958 6IN (1:10560) MAP.
- <6>SBC11753 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P297.
- <7>SBC3935 Bibliographic reference: DOE 1984(MAY) LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITE CTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST, DISTRICT OF AYLESBUR.
- <8>SBC19704 Verbal communication: Sandy Kidd (BCC). 2002. Police at Winslow and Vicar of Winslow church to Sandy Kidd, July 2002.
- <9>SBC19045 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. pp65.
- <10>SBC23639 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2002. An Archaeological Watching Brief at St Lawrence Church, Winslow.
- <11>SBC24135 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2011. Archaeological Excavation: St Laurence's Meeting Room, Market Square, Winslow, Buckinghamshire.
- <12>SBC24693 Article in serial: Carina Summerfield-Hill. 2013. 'Excavation at St Laurence's Meeting Room, Market Square, Winslow', in Recs in Bucks 53 pp93-91. Vol 53.
|Grid reference||SP 76930 27650 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||WINSLOW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Burials found during excavation (Monument) (0734500000)
- Parent of: Graveyard of St Lawrence's Church: cross (Monument) (0235501000)
- Parent of: South of gate to churchyard: pauper's grave (Monument) (0235502000)
- Parent of: St Lawrence Church, Winslow (Monument) (0724300000)
- Parent of: St Lawrence's Church, Winslow. (Monument) (0722700000)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13590)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: WPC02) (EBC17299)
Record last edited
Aug 29 2018 11:18AM