Monument record 0210201000 - SOUTH OF BOVENEY VILLAGE Area 6: ring ditch
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- RING DITCH (RING DITCH:ROUND BARROW?, Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- PIT (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
Dimensions - Radius 0010 m
Plan Form - CIRCULAR
CIRCULAR CROPMARK WITH INTERNAL PIT (1). RING DITCH VISIBLE ON A/P'S. NO TRACE IN LEVEL FIELD OF CROP. 2 INTERNAL DARK MARKS MAY BE BURIALS (2). PLOTTED 1:2500, NMR METHOD (3). CLEARLY VISIBLE ON A/P'S & PIT. PLOUGHED OUT BARROW? (5). IN EXCAVATION NO MOUND MATERIAL FOUND; DITCH MUCH TRUNCATED (7)
During the construction of the Eton College Rowing Lake and the Maidenhead, Eton and Windsor Flood Alleviation scheme, this site was evaluated and excavated by Oxford Archaeology (known as Area 6). The SW barrow ditch surrounded a central pit nearly 5m wide and 1.4m deep which contained Beaker pottery. The southern barrows were discovered to have been dug into gravel. An un-accompanied inhumation burial was discovered to the S (12).
- ---SBC19097 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeological Unit. 1995. The Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Bucks..
- ---SBC19799 Monograph: Stuart Foreman, Jonathan Hiller and David Petts et al. 2002. Gathering the people, settling the land: the archaeology of a middle Thames landscape.
- ---SBC19988 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 1996. Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Buckinghamshire - Archaeological Evaluations 1995.
- ---SBC19989 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. The Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Buckinghamshire - Archaeological Evaluations 1995.
- ---SBC19997 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1996. South Midlands Archaeology 26, 1996.
- ---SBC2399 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1986. The Dorney Study: An Archaeological Implications Report.
- <2>SBC19770 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1997. South Midlands Archaeology 27, 1997. pp30-31.
|Grid reference||SU 93460 77470 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DORNEY, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
- SHERD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14103)
- Event - Intervention: Eton College Rowing Course Project (EBC16357)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking (EBC16354)
Record last edited
Jan 8 2010 5:24PM