Building record 0122302000 - WYCOMBE ABBEY, MARLOW HILL
- Listed Building (II*) 1310649: WYCOMBE ABBEY (PARTS OF WYCOMBE ABBEY SCHOOL)
Type and Period (3)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Remodelled about 1804, 17th Century to 19th Century - 1600 AD? to 1896 AD)
- PRIVATE SCHOOL (19th Century to Modern - 1896 AD to 1999 AD?)
- MILITARY HEADQUARTERS (Modern - 1943 AD to 1946 AD)
Grade II+. Originally known as Loakes Manor, probably early C17, enlarged circa 1755-59 by Henry Keene for Lord Shelburne. Bought 1798 by Robert Smith, first Lord Carrington (1752-1838), politician. Renamed Wycombe Abbey, remodelled in Gothic style by James Wyatt circa 1804 and enlarged. The hall, now called Big School, added 1891; shortly afterwards the house and grounds were sold and became a girls' public school. Ashlar with flint garretting, battlements. The north entrance front has central doorway in arched stone porch, narrow pointed arched flanking windows lighting 2 storey hall with balcony, hammer beam roof, pointed arched east side corridor. Remainder of extension similar with main symmetrical garden front on east. Extensive modern additions, mainly unlisted, on west. Hall on south west incoporates mid C18 pew from All Saints Church made for John Lord Shelburne. Important park landscaped with impressive banks of trees. See: K A Wal 'From one Generation to Another' (B7).
Possibly incorporates parts of old manor house of Loakes (B3).
No trace of old manor house within fabric (B6).
The American 8th Army Air Force had its headquarters at Wycombe Abbey School from 1942 following America's entry into the war. It was staffed by 12,000 U.S servicemen who were accommodated in huts at Nearby Daws Hill House (B10).
In 1942 the headmistress of the school received an official notice that in 13 days time the girls would have to vacate the site to make way for the USAF's 8th Army Force; they did not return until May 1946. The USAF eventually left the Abbey but stayed at their Daws Hill base (B11).
The US 8th Army Air Force headquarters moved in from the end of 1943 until 1946. Numerous huts once stood on the present lacrosse pitches (B12).
- <3>SBC14356 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P926.
- <6>SBC10628 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Field Investigator. OS RECORD CARD.
- <7>SBC3604 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1973. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: WYCOMBE DISTRICT: BOROUGH OF HIGH WYCOMBE. p67.
- <9>SBC17046 Bibliographic reference: WYCOMBE ABBEY SCHOOL JUNE? 1996 PHOTOGRAPHS OF WILLIAM CHAMBERS CHIMNEY PIECE BEFORE REMOVAL (FILED).
- <10>SBC19581 Bibliographic reference: Buckinghamshire Record Office. 1995. BRO 1995 Wartime Buckinghamshire 1939-1945. p7.
- <11>SBC22464 Bibliographic reference: James Rattue. 2002. High Wycombe Past. p101-2.
- <12>SBC22575 Bibliographic reference: Martin Andrew. 2005. High Wycombe: A History and Celebration. p97.
|Grid reference||SU 86581 92639 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14164)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2023 12:36PM