Building record 0009900000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH, EDLESBOROUGH
- Listed Building (I) 1117908: CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Mary, Edlesborough
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1828, 13th Century to 19th Century - 1200 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Width 0022 Length 0039 m
Plan Form - SUBRECTANGULAR
Grade I. Parish church. C13 nave and aisles with later C13 chancel, C14 windows and W. tower, C15 clerestory, N. chapel and porches. Restored after fire of 1828 and later. Tower and chancel are of worn ashlar, part rendered, with nave and aisles of dressed stone and flint. Some repairs in brick. Battlemented parapets, C20 to chancel. Lead roofs. W. tower is of 2 stages with angle buttresses and octagonal stair turret to S.W. corner. Paired 2-light traceried windows to bell-chamber, and cusped lancet to W. side. N. and S. sides also have small intermediate buttresses. Nave has 4-bay clerestory of 2-light traceried windows, the tracery renewed C20. 3 similar windows to S. aisle which also has double chamfered doorway with 2- centred arch, and 2-light cusped window with flat head to E. S. porch has similar arch and plain parapet. Projection for rood-loft stairs in angle with chancel has small quatrefoil light. N. aisle is similar but has C15 window of 3 transomed and cusped lights in segmental head to N. of E. bay, and small light with 4-centred head in W. bay. N. porch has 4 cusped lights to each side. 5-light cusped window with 4-centred head to N. of N. chapel. Chancel has 2 windows with restored geometric tracery, 2-light to N., large 5-light window to E. S. side has 3 Perpendicular windows of 3 cusped lights with 4-centred heads, and small arched door. Interior: triple-chamfered tower arch on semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps. Nave has 4-bay arcades of double chamfered arches on similar piers, the piers between W. bays with plain pilasters to sides. Traces of another arcaded bay to W. Spandrels have C19 paintings of angels, with Christ in Glory over chancel arch. S. wall of nave has 4-centred arch to rood-loft. Aisle bays are divided by moulded stone arches. N. aisle also has small recess in W. wall, blocked cusped niche in N. wall, and double chamfered arch to N. chapel, now vestry. S. aisle has blocked 4-centred arch to W., ogee piscina, tall narrow ogee niche to right of E. window, and remains of rood-loft stairs. Wide 2-centred moulded arch to chancel, another between chancel and vestry. Interior of N. and E. chancel windows have moulded arches on slender shafts. Trefoil-headed piscina, partly cusped. Sedile with 4-centred arch. Fine C15 roofs throughout, with moulded beams. Nave roof has braced tie beams on castellated corbels, chancel roof also braced with traceried spandrels on carved head corbels. Very fine C15 fittings include: octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panels, the cover renewed but retaining C15 carved wooden finial; splendid octagonal wooden pulpit partly restored, the side panels with small crocketted canopies, and tall sounding board with rib-vaulted soffit and upper tiers much enriched with blind tracery and finials; screen, partly restored and repainted, with open traceried panels and rood-loft on wooden fan vault to E.; choir stalls with traceried front panels and poppyhead bench ends, those against screen with carved misericords and arm-rests. Other fittings include a C17 table with turned balusters, 2 C17 chests and a C19 reredos of glazed tiles in traceried panels. Brasses to John Rufford and three wives 1540, to John Swynstede, priest, 1395, tablet to John Killingworth 1412, and brass rose, all in N. aisle. Brass to Henry Brugis and wife 1647 in slab with Ionic pilasters in N. chapel. Marble wall tablet to Margaret Bayley and Margaret Theed 1700-1, with cornice, urn and swags, and cherub heads to base. RCHM II p.106-109 (B9).
CHURCH DECLARED REDUNDANT JUNE 1975 (B6).
Buildings report held at NMR (B12)
- <1>SBC7756 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP348-51.
- <2>SBC14445 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP673-4.
- <3>SBC13017 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP106-9 (& ILLUS).
- <4>SBC15750 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP356-9.
- <5>SBC10488 Map: OS 1984 1:2500 MAP.
- <6>SBC11905 Verbal communication: PIKE A R (BCM) 1977 PERS COMM.
- <7>SBC4811 Bibliographic reference: FARLEY M E (BCM) 1973 FIELD VISIT.
- <8>SBC6459 Bibliographic reference: HOSKINS W G 1967 FIELDWORK IN LOCAL HISTORY P177.
- <9>SBC19041 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p13.
- <10>SBC11556 Verbal communication: 1997. PARKHOUSE J (BCM) MARCH 1997, PERS COMM (SEE ENVELOPE FILE).
- <11>SBC4767 Unpublished document: Michael Farley. 1999. A WATCHING BRIEF AT ST MARY'S CHURCH, EDLESBOROUGH.
- <12>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF051365.
- <13>SBC23865 Unpublished document: Network Archaeology. 2010. St Mary the Virgin Church, Edlesborough: Archaeological Watching Brief.
- <14>SBC23866 Verbal communication: Julia Wise (BCC). 2011. Information from OS 6-inch and 25-inch historic mapping and aerial photos.
|Grid reference||SP 97004 19063 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||EDLESBOROUGH, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13593)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2018 1:45PM