Monument record 1504800000 - High Wycombe (Oxford Road) to Handy Cross and Marlow Road turnpike
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- TOLL ROAD (19th Century - 1822 AD to 1899 AD?)
The road led from Oxford Road near the thirty-one milestone to Booker Hill and Handy Cross. A branch went to Red Barn Farm on the Stokenchurch-Marlow Road (B482). Bryant shows an 'Intended line of new Road' from the current junction of Chapel Lane and Lane End Road to Cressex Farm, but this does not appear on the OS 1 inch or the 1885 OS 6 inch maps. It seems there was a gate at Creswick Lane and a side toll bar at The Turnpike (SU 844916). No further evidence of this stretch of road has been traced (B1).
- <1>SBC24252 Article in serial: Kathy Edmonds, Joan Elding & Joyce Mellor. 1995. 'Turnpike Roads of Buckinghamshire', In Recs of Bucks 35 pp31-48. Vol 35. pp36, 43.
|Grid reference||Centred SU 84096 92189 (2565m by 4051m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT MARLOW, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2017 3:44PM