Monument record 0731400000 - 40 Church Lane, West Wycombe
- Planning Notification Area: Site of Roman cemetery at West Wycombe village
Type and Period (3)
- INHUMATION (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD) + Sci.Date
- DITCH (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
- PIT (15th Century to 16th Century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
In July 2010, part of a human skull and other fragments of human bone were discovered by buildiers digging a trench against the north wall of 40 Church Lane. Human bones had been unearthed on previous occasions in the lane, but the age and circumstances of the burials was entirely unknown. To investigate further, the National Trust, the owners of the property, commisioned an archaeological excavationof the area on the north side of the cottage. This uncovered the remains of four individuals, one of which has been radiocarbon dated to the mid 3rd to early 5th centuries AD, from a row of graves cut into the chalk bedrock. The bone fragments discovered by the builders came from a late medieval/early post medieval ditch that ran parallel to Church Lane and passed under the front wall of the cottage; the bones, of at least two individuals, probably came from other Roman graves disturbed by the cutting of the ditch. Two pits dating to the late 15th/early16th century were encountered in the foundation trench for a new garden wall adjacent to Church Lane. The archaeology was sealed by a layer of subsoil and dark garden soil containing 18th and 19th century pottery and glass, and a part of a possible medieval rowel-spur (B1).
- <1>SBC24103 Unpublished document: Northamptonshire Archaeology. 2010. Roman burials at 40 Church Lane, West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
|Grid reference||SU 83012 94736 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation and watching brief (EBC17473)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2016 1:50PM