Monument record 0802300000 - Church Lane, West Wycombe
- Planning Notification Area: Site of Roman cemetery at West Wycombe village
Type and Period (3)
- INHUMATION CEMETERY? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)
- INHUMATION (Unknown date)
Human remains (3 skeletons) found in 1986 by British Telecom whilst digging trench in Church Lane. Bones reburied by rector [in St Paul's churchyard?] (B1).
Joan Taylor subsequently visited site and told by local residents that at least 1 skull and vertebrae had been recovered from BT trench. The human remains were at a shallow depth, possibly aligned north-south, parallel with the path and near the doorstep of 40 Church Lane. Previous discoveries had been made nearby: 2 skeletons were found at Hill Cottage during construction of extension to garage in about 1962, and 1 possibly incomplete skeleton was found under the floor of 41 Church Lane when the flooring was replaced in the 1930s (possibly still in-situ?) (B2).
Information apparently confirmed by Herbert Green (B3).
NGR to 40 Church Lane.
Further burials discovered during building work at 40 Church Lane and subsequently excavated by Northamptonshire Archaeology. Radio-carbon dating of one of burials produced a late Roman date, so possibly burials from a Roman cemetery. See report for detail (B4).
- <1>SBC20255 Article in serial: 1986. Article in South Bucks Star newspaper, 4th July 1986.
- <2>SBC20256 Verbal communication: Joan Taylor (CMAG). 1986. Carol Smith, Miss Milburn and Jack Castle to Joan Taylor, July? 1986.
- <3>SBC20257 Unpublished document: Herbert Green. 1986?. Brief notes on burials discovered at West Wycombe.
- <4>SBC24103 Unpublished document: Northamptonshire Archaeology. 2010. Roman burials at 40 Church Lane, West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SU 83009 94736 (30m by 41m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation and watching brief (EBC17473)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2016 1:41PM