Monument record 0104000100 - BURSTON DMV
- Ancient Monument 1017778: THE MEDIEVAL VILLAGE OF BURSTON
Type and Period (2)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- (Former Type) VILL (Recorded 1086, 11th Century - 1000 AD to 1099 AD)
BURSTON, A HAMLET, ENTERED IN DOMESDAY BOOK (B1). IT WAS REPORTED TO CARDINAL WOLSEY'S COMMISSION OF INQUIRY INTO ENCLOSURES (1517) THAT IN 1488, 8 PLOUGHS WERE MADE USELESS, 60 PEOPLE EVICTED, & MANOR & HAMLET CONVERTED TO SHEEP PASTURE (B12). ALSO, 4 HOUSES PULLED DOWN (B4).
In Burston Alan holds 2 hides from the Count [of Mortain]. Land for 2 ploughs; in lordship 1. 3 villagers with 1 smallholder have 1 plough. Meadow for 2 ploughs. Value 30s; when acquired 10s; before 1066, 40s. Three thanes held this land, of whom one was Earl Leofwin's man; the second a man of Young Godwin, Abbot of Westminster; the third Alfred of Wing's man; all could sell their land.
In the same village Aelmer holds 1 virgate from the Count [of Mortain]. 2 villagers. The value is and was 5s. Siward, Earl harold's man, held this land; he could sell.
In Burston Thurstan holds 1 hide from Walter [Giffard]. Land for 1 plough; it is there, with 2 smallholders and 1 slave. Meadow for 1 plough. Value 20s; when acquired 10s; before 1066, 20s. Aelfwen, a woman, held this land under Siward; she could sell.
In Burston William holds 3 virgates from Miles [Crispin]. Land for 1 plough. 3 villagers. Meadow for 1 plough. The value is and was 15s; before 1066, 20s. Oswulf, Brictic's man, held this land; he could sell.
In Burston reginald holds I hide from Thurstan [son of Rolf]. Land for 1 plough; it is there, with 2 smallholders and 1 slave. Meadow for 1 plough. Value 20s; when acquired 10s; before 1066, 20s. Aelfwen, a woman of Siward's, held this land; she could grant to whom she would. [This last entry struck through] (B16).
- ---SBC17239 Aerial Photograph: 01/01/76. BCM A/1/5/2A-3, 4A-5. SP\846201. Yes.
- ---SBC17399 Aerial Photograph: 05/02/90. BCM A14/8/32-34. SP\841188. Yes.
- ---SBC17837 Aerial Photograph: 18/10/79. CUC CLC 26. SP\841190. Yes.
- ---SBC18770 Aerial Photograph: 10/03/48. RAF 142.3165. SP\837187. Yes.
- <1>SBC7748 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP309-310.
- <4>SBC15384 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 2 P63; 3 PP328-9.
- <5>SBC1667 Bibliographic reference: BERESFORD MW & HURST JG 1971 DESERTED MEDIEVAL VIL LAGES P184/ BERESFORD MW 1953 NOTES ON BUCKS DMV'.
- <6>SBC10730 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD SP 81 NW 2 (FILED).
- <7>SBC8154 Map: 1800. MAP OF BURSTON MANOR 1800 (IN COUNTY RECORD OFFICE).
- <8>SBC203 Aerial Photograph: AIR PHOTO RAF MARCH 1948 142.3165 (COPY AT BCM); & INFO FROM P STEVENS, OS INSPECTOR.
- <9>SBC4874 Verbal communication: FARLEY M E (BCM) MAY 1974 FIELD VISIT.
- <10>SBC13940 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1997. SCHEDULING LIST OF INSPECTORATE OF ANCIENT MONUMENTS.
- <11>SBC9908 Unpublished document: Elizabeth Nellist. 1977. 'BURSTON, A DESERTED MEDIEVAL VILLAGE IN BUCKS' (DURHAM UNIVERSITY THESIS).
- <12>SBC2823 Bibliographic reference: CHALKEY B 1985 THREE DESERTED VILLAGES IN THE VALE OF AYLESBURY (ON CAS FILE).
- <14>SBC10483 Map: OS 1981 1:2500 MAP.
- <16>SBC4271 Bibliographic reference: John Morris (ed). 1978. Domesday Book: Buckinghamshire. 12:12-13, 14:18, 23:25, 35:3.
|Grid reference||SP 83800 18700 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON ABBOTTS, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14201)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13833)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13966)
Record last edited
Apr 25 2017 1:30PM