Building record 0103401000 - TAPLOW COURT
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) MANOR HOUSE (Medieval to 17th Century - 1066 AD? to 1616 AD)
- (Former Type) MANOR HOUSE? (17th Century - 1616 AD? to 1699 AD)
MANOR HOUSE LEASED TO HENRY GUILDFORD, 1614 & BURNT DOWN IN 1616. 1635 HAMPSONS HAD MANOR HOUSE WHICH WAS SOLD, 1700 TO LORD ORKNEY. HE ALTERED/REBUILT (NOT CLEAR WHICH) & THEN SOLD IN 1852 TO PASCOE GRENFELL. HE ENLARGED & ALTERED HOUSE TO ITS PRESENT CONDITION (B1-3).
Excavation in 2007 for a lift within the house uncovered a wall that may date to the 15th or 16th century - therefore a wall of the medieval house before it burned down in 1616. No evidence of burning was recovered but later alterations probably truncated this evidence (B15).
- <1>SBC15622 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP 240-243.
- <2>SBC14057 Bibliographic reference: SCRIMGEOUR G E & FARLEY M E (BCM) NOV 1987 TAPLOW & ITS SETTING (DRAFT MANUSCRIPT FILED UNDER CAS 1.
- <3>SBC7676 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 P297.
- <15>SBC22910 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Lift Pit, Taplow Court, Taplow: Archaeological Investigations Report. p 21.
|Grid reference||SU 9067 8220 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||TAPLOW, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Archaeological investigation of a lift pit in Taplow Court (Ref: 3673) (EBC16837)
Record last edited
Aug 31 2011 12:10PM