Building record 0101500000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH, LONG CRENDON
- Listed Building (I) 1214036: CHURCH OF ST MARY
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0034 m Width 0023
Plan Form - CRUCIFORM
LITTLE C12, C13 MUCH REBUILT. CHANCEL BEGUN C.1235; CENTRAL TOWER, N & S TRANSEPTS BUILT IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS; C.1265 N & S AISLES ADDED TO NAVE; C.1335 N AISLE WIDENED, N PORCH BUILT & N TRANSEPT REMODELLED; C15 S TRANSEPT REBUILT & S PORCH BUILT. FURTHER ALTERATIONS 1626 & 1632. C19 REPAIRS ONLY (B4).
Grade I. C13 nave, south aisle, crossing and chancel. C14 north aisle and transept. C15/16 upper part of high turretted central tower, chancel roof, west porch and later west window. Cruciform plan, 2-bay nave with quatre-foil pier on north, octagonal on south. Traceried north transept window copied in C19 in chancel east window. Decorated niche in north aisle. C14 octagonal font, carved. C17 wood screen to transepts, and C17 communion rail. Large wall monument in south transept to Sir John Dormer and wife 1626. Recumbent effigies on elaborate double tiered plinth set in shallow coffered arch surmounted by pediment and cartouche, supported on black columns and flanked by oblisks with strapwork decoration in lunette (B8).
AT NGR (B7).
Included in Historic England's Heritage at Risk Register in 2015-2018. Described as in poor condition, priority F: 'Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented' (B14-16, B18).
- <1>SBC7525 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 1 PP213-218.
- <2>SBC7367 Article in serial: G F Lee. 1889. 'ST MARY'S CHURCH, LONG CRENDON', IN RECS OF BUCKS 6 PP271-295.
- <3>SBC16184 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 PP43-45.
- <4>SBC12808 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP235-237.
- <5>SBC13366 Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 1929 12 P147.
- <6>SBC1235 Bibliographic reference: BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTER/DR C E KING OCT 1983 ASHMOLEAN MUSEUM, OXFORD.
- <7>SBC10400 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 6-INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
- <8>SBC3646 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1981. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. p39.
- <9>SBC17 Graphic material: ?BLOMFIELD A W ?1888 ARCHITECT'S PLAN OF CHURCH IN BRO REF: PR 134/6/3/1 (COPY, FILED).
- <10>SBC15207 Graphic material: UNSIGNED & UNDATED PLAN OF CHURCH FROM GUIDEBOOK IN BUCKS ARCH SOC COLL-ECTION (BOX 5C/I-L) (COPY, F.
- <11>SBC23586 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2008. St Mary the Virgin Church, Long Crendon: Archaeological Watching Brief Report.
- <12>SBC23587 Verbal communication: Julia Wise (BCC). 2009. Julia Wise, Pers Comm.
- <13>SBC24593 Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Service. 2014. Church of St Mary the Virgin, Long Crendon: An Archaeological Watching Brief.
- <14>SBC24601 Digital archive: Historic England. 2015. Heritage at Risk Register 2015.
- <15>SBC24775 Digital archive: Historic England. 2016. Heritage at Risk Register 2016. p6.
- <16>SBC24932 Digital archive: Historic England. 2017. Heritage at Risk Register 2017.
- <17>SBC25065 Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Services. 2018. Church of St Mary the Virgin, Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire: Archaeological Watching Brief.
- <18>SBC25083 Digital archive: Historic England. 2018. Heritage at Risk Register 2018.
- <18>SBC25245 Digital archive: Historic England. 2019. Heritage at Risk Register 2019.
|Grid reference||SP 69840 09060 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||LONG CRENDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief at the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Long Crendon (Ref: LCC14/193) (EBC18049)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2018 7:21PM