Monument record 0101501000 - ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD, LONG CRENDON
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCHYARD (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 1999 AD)
- EXTENDED INHUMATION (Post-Medieval to 19th Century - 1540 AD? to 1899 AD)
Watching brief carried out by Oxford Archaeology in December 2007 during service trenching in churchyard on NW side of church, recorded the remains of 15 E-W orientated burials and a small amount of charnel at various depths between 0.45m and 1.35m below the surface. At least 3 individuals had been buried in coffins; coffin fittings retrieved were 18th to 19th century in date. All material disturbed was reburied in the service trench. See report for detail (B11).
Churchyard still in active use for burials and cremations. There is a substantial difference of several metres in ground levels between the east side of the churchyard, which is bounded by a retaining wall, and the Manor House gardens below (B12).
Negative watching brief (B13).
Unstratified fragments of human bone recovered during watch brief observation of hand dug trenches east of the chancel (B17).
- <11>SBC23586 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2008. St Mary the Virgin Church, Long Crendon: Archaeological Watching Brief Report.
- <12>SBC23587 Verbal communication: Julia Wise (BCC). 2009. Julia Wise, Pers Comm.
- <13>SBC24593 Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Service. 2014. Church of St Mary the Virgin, Long Crendon: An Archaeological Watching Brief.
- <17>SBC25065 Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Services. 2018. Church of St Mary the Virgin, Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire: Archaeological Watching Brief.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 69836 09062 (81m by 76m) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||LONG CRENDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
- HUMAN REMAINS (Post-Medieval to 19th Century - 1540 AD to 1899 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: LCC 14/193) (EBC17717)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: LOCRSM07) (EBC17265)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief at the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Long Crendon (Ref: LCC14/193) (EBC18049)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2020 7:57AM