Building record 0099400000 - ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, STEEPLE CLAYDON
- Listed Building (II*) 1214937: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Michael, Steeple Claydon
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1842 and 1875, 14th Century to 19th Century - 1300 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0033 m Width 0018
Grade II+. Parish church. C14 chancel, nave altered C15 and heightened C16-17. Restored 1842 and 1875 by Sir G.G. Scott and J. Oldrid Scott. C19 transepts, N. aisle, S. porch and W. tower. Coursed rubble stone with brick to transepts and E. wall of nave. Tiled roofs coped gables. Tower of 3 stages in Decorated style with broach spire and stair turret to N.E. S. wall of nave has 2 C15 paired cusped lancets with flat hoodmoulds and clerestory of C16-C17 rectangular windows with paired arched lights. N. wall' of nave has C19 clerestory of 2-light windows with ogee tracery, hidden by steeply gabled roof of N. aisle, Similar windows to N. aisle. Transepts have re-used Perpendicular 3-light windows with ogee tracery and carved head label stops to N. and S. S. transept has mid C18 memorial plaques set in W. and S. walls. Chancel has Decorated 2-light windows, 2 to S., one to N, C19 vestry to N. in angle with transept. Small door to S. dated 1631. Decorated E. window of 3 lights has flowing tracery. Interior: C19 N. arcade of nave has 3 bays of chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps, C19 chancel arch on triple shafts. Aumbry, piscina and sedile in form of window seat, all restored Q19, C19 roofs. All Cl9 work in Decorated style with naturalistic carved foliage caps. Fittings: C15 octagonal font with C17 cover; C15 pews, restored; C17 pulpit, other fittings C19, Monument to Sir Harry and Lady Eliza Verney with marble profile medallions dated 1839 by Kummel. RCHM II p. 272 (B6)
C18 ADDITIONS. CLEARSTORIED NAVE (B1-2).
C14 CHANCEL, NAVE ALTERED C15 & HEIGHTENED C16-17. RESTORED 1842 & 1875 BY SIR G G SCOTT & J OLDRID SCOTT. C19 TRANSEPTS, N AISLE, S PORCH, W TOWER. COURSED RUBBLE STONE, BRICK TRANSEPTS & NAVE E WALL (B3-5).
PLAN/SECTION 1842 (B7,10).
Sketch of historic glass (B8).
At NGR (B9).
A collection of sketches of Buckinghamshire churches done by Charlotte Pigott, wife of George Pigott, squire of Doddershall in Quainton parish, in the early 1840s (B14).
Ian Toplis suggests church restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1845 and 1875 (B15).
- <1>SBC16688 Bibliographic reference: WILLIS B 1755 HISTORY & ANTIQUITIES OF BUCKINGHAM P271.
- <2>SBC14393 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP271-273.
- <3>SBC12953 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 P272.
- <4>SBC15892 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 P228.
- <5>SBC11737 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P242.
- <6>SBC3775 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. p47.
- <7>SBC6586 Bibliographic reference: INCORPORATED CHURCH BUILDING SOCIETY 1842 (COPY IN SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES RED PORTFOLIO (BUCKS) F8).
- <8>SBC14587 Graphic material: SKETCHES OF OLD GLASS IN THE CHURCH (PENCIL SKETCH) DRYDEN COLLECTION, NORTHAMPTON LIBRARY.
- <9>SBC10473 Map: OS 1977 1:2500 MAP.
- <10>SBC6396 Graphic material: HILL B (UNDATED) PLAN OF PRE-1842 SEATING ARRANGEMENTS IN CHURCH FROM GUIDEBOOK IN BUCKS ARCH SOC .
- <11>SBC19675 Unpublished document: 2002. St Michael's Church, Steeple Claydon: An Archaeological Evaluation.
- <12>SBC23208 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2008. Watching brief: St Michael's Church, Steeple Claydon.
- <13>SBC23292 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2009. Watching brief: St Michael's Church, Steeple Claydon.
- <14>SBC23373 Article in serial: Elliott Viney. 1991. Bucks Churches in the Eighteen-Forties. Plate 10a, p78.
- <15>SBC15132 Article in serial: Ian Toplis. 1975. 'SIR GILBERT SCOTT'S CLASSICAL WORK IN BUCKS', IN RECS OF BUCKS 20 PP93-99. Vol 20. p99.
|Grid reference||SP 70522 26740 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||STEEPLE CLAYDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13589)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2011 10:31AM